Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't know exactly where to put this question....so it over in the procedures section too.

When crimping with this die how heavy is heavy? Following the directions by turning the die down to the shell holder then giving it 1/2 turn more....how many more rotations "in" do you consider the crimp to be heavy? I'm working up a load for my 1895G I'm loading Hornady 350gr FP over RL#7.
Thanks,
Toby

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,223 Posts
If you are following the directions, then you should be OK. Look at some factory rounds for reference.

"How much" crimp is one of those things that you just about can't tell a person no matter how many words you use, but a couple of pictures or an example in front of you are priceless.

Actually, the amount of crimp should be one of your reloading variables anyway. So, start with exactly what the directions say, then you can try a little more/little less and see what effect it has on group size.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
For bullets with a crimp groove, 1/2 turn after contact is about right. You might use a bit more if the crimp groove is very deep, but 1/2 is enough for most bullets. On bullets without a crimp groove, I have found that 1/4 turn is all you can use without ill affect on accuracy. On both X bullets and Ballistic tips, 1/4 turn is great, 1/2 turn is terrible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts