Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advantage for Winchester versus Starline brass, for a 45-70 1886 Win EL?

Typical load will be a 405 grain Rem SP or a LAsercast FN.

Any opinions?

Tom

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tom,

From what I have seen of Starline brass, I would have no qualms about using it if it is cheaper than W-W.  I am using W-W, but that was what was available at the time.  The Starline I have seen is pistol brass in several calibers and seems to be very good quality.

dclark

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have a duke's misture of older 45-70 brass, mostly Winchester but a fair amount of Remington. I bought several hundred of the Starline last fall to finish up the quanity that I felt that I needed to have on hand.
I've shot some of the older Winchester and Remington for a lot of years and grew to prefer the Winchester. Can't tell you why! This was used in my Siamese Mauser 45-70.
I use all of the brass with my Saeco 350 GC with 50 of RL-7 for shooting in my Winchester 1886 take down.
I've seen no difference between the Starline and the other two.
Jim

·
Registered
510 Posts
I concur on the brass issue. I have lots of WW, Rem., and 500 Starline. The Starline is very uniform. So far I've not had to trim any of 'em. I do use Rem. nickle for my very heavy loads, though. I do this mostly so I don't get 'em confused.
                                                       Cheers,
                                                              mike

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I have read somewhere that recent Starline .45-70 brass has the primer pocket cut .005" deeper.
There are several reasons for this. Tim Sundles from Buffalo Bore was part of this, I think. The idea is to keep the primer positivly out of the way of wide meplat bullets.
I have been using Starline .45-70 brass and have not notcied any particular difference between it and Rem or Win.

I have been VERY happy with .32 Magnum Starline Brass. Starline saved the day when they began making good brass for the .32 Mag. The original Federal had heat treat problems and split lengthwise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts