Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys ever seen, owned, or used a Harrington and Richardson Buffalo Classic rifle.  It shoots 45-70 and I've been thinking about purchasing one.  I was wondering whether they are a quality gun.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
A neighbor owned one for a time about four years ago... he picked it up used at a gunshow locally.  It was the typical H&R standing breech single shot action, but had what appeared to be a color case-hardened frame, some outstanding quality wood with great checkering, and a very long tube on it... sorry I don't remember just how long.  Overall it was a very nice little single shot, break open rifle. As I reacall it had some pretty spiffy sights on it as well.

Accurate wasn't the word for it!  That rifle shot nearly a ragged hole with my handloads using the .460"-405g LFNGC, but boy was the recoil stiff!

It seemed to me at the time that my neighbor spent way more money for the gun than I would have justified, but that's just personal preference coming into play... dangerous ground!

I don't know if this helps, but it's all I can offer!

God Bless,

Marshall

<!--EDIT|Marshall Stanton|Feb. 13 2002,12:05-->

·
Registered
668 Posts
I just bought a Wesson & Harrington 1871 Buffalo Classic (starting this year they are called H&R) in 45-70 with a 32" barrel.  I just put on the sights that the rifle now comes with (the W&H came with only a dovetail insert), the Lyman 17 AUG front globe sight with 8 aperature inserts and the Williams WGRS-HR peep which mounts in last two of the holes tapped above the chamber.  I am in the process of researching long-range sight options, old Springfield Trapdoor sights, Sharps barrel sights, and various repro sights.  I am interested in mounting a military-style ladder sight, one the has a leaf for 100 yards and will range farther with the ladder flipped up and the rear sight adjusted for various elevations.

The Buffalo Classic is definitely a quality gun, good blued medium round barrel, color case hardened receiver and frame, and a nicely checkered walnut stock with a schnabel forearm.  The only knock which can be corrected with a $60 factory steel part refit is that the trigger guard and forearm spacer are a composite plastic.  You don't notice it unless you look close, but I'm sending mine in for the steel parts.  There is also a rear sight base and a stock weight kit available.  The rear sight base is in the white will fit over the chamber, needs to drilled or sweated on, blued and comes with a 3/8" dovetail.  The stock weight kit is the same as for the H&R 10 gauge shotgun and adds 1 and 1/3 pound toward the rear of the rifle.  I spent $300 for the rifle and $60 for the sights.  I'll update you as I do more to and become more familiar with this rifle.  So far it looks like it is going to be a lot of fun.

Wesson & Harrington 1871 Buffalo Classic Shooting Society Webpage

·
Banned
22 Posts
Marshall, the barrel must have been 32" long. I believe they are accurate, I have both the Target Model and Buffalo Classic, and both seem very accurate to me. That rolling block single shot steady action is hard to beat. New they are inexpensive, about $300 each. There is a little kick in the BC, but less in the 38/55. I have shotguns that kick far worse than either.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just bought my buffalo classic a little more than a week ago. It is actually my first gun. I have, unfortunately, been unable to get out and shoot yet. It does need a rear sight. it is also set up for a scope in addition to having a mounting block for a tang sight on the stock. I am pondering getting an inexpensive creedmore 5 inch tang sight from trach of the wolf. Does anyone have any opinions about this sight? I would rather not pay the $200+ a lot of the other sights are fetching. This sight is only 50 bucks or so. The 3 inch sight is 43 bucks. I figured I might as well get the larger sight in case I am able to shoot longer distances.

Also, while I am at it I might as well ask another question. Would it be cheaper in the long run to buy the material and make my own bullets or just get factory stuff from the store?

Snarf

·
Super Moderator
9,516 Posts
Snarf:

Have used both the 3" and the 5" version (but not the one without windage). Windage adjustment is kind of hit or miss...you loosen the eye cup and slide the plate it's mounted to left or right, then tighten it down. Are two set scres just above teh base..this will alloy you get get it running vertical if the mount is off without having to stone or file the base to get it level.

The non-windage rear is made much the same...and with a front sigfht in a dovetail, it's really not much more of a pain to get it sighted in than the ping-pong game you play with the frcition adjusting windage sight. The windage adjusting sight is marginally more easy to get sighted in and probably worth the $8 - 9 difference.

They haven't broken and give good enough service for most things. Not the most precise return to zero once moved...is some slack in the system...but once zeroed thay haven't moved.

They are made to lock in at a fixed angle when flipped up. Can dissassemble the base and flip the flat spring that detents the sight arround and get a slightly differnt angle. IF need be, can grind the flat spring on one end and fill it's slot on the other to make farther adjustments...but you pretty much should get the sight running 90 degrees to the barrel.

Put the short one on a Marlin 27S (pump) 32-20...that one's moundted normally and works fine. The long one I put of a 50-70 Rolling block.

Didn't want to drill the tang on the RB, so "cheated". Dissassebled the sight and soldered the base to the tang, then reassembled the sight. Hasn't given any trouble this way, and can remove it and not leave any traces of it being there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds awesome. I just ordered the 5 incher from track of the wolf. cant wait to get it. I will probably take it out this weekend and shoot my first box with a buddy without the sight just because I am impatient. Planning on using this just for target shooting fun. Would love to get to the point where I can shoot several hundred yards.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
Tang sight on a lightweight, hard kicking gun is a good way to poke your eye out. Pay attention to what you are doing, and wear safety glasses of some sort.... good luck.

·
Super Moderator
9,516 Posts
MikeG said:
Tang sight on a lightweight, hard kicking gun is a good way to poke your eye out. Pay attention to what you are doing, and wear safety glasses of some sort.... good luck.
Is a danger...but it will fold forwards and you should be wearing glasses for any type of shooting. Can adjust the locking screw so that if flops forward easily...recoil will leave the sight leaning forward after each shot, but seeing as you have to stop to reload it each time, that's not a big deal.

Have used a Lyman Supertarget spot 30X on a 30-06. HAs all of 1 1/4" of eye relief. Loosen the set of the recoil spring so it doesn't function (could order them without the spring) and never got touched by the scope...it slides in the mount (actually, the rifle recoils and inerita leaves the scope in place, but effect is the same). Wiht a bit less spring pressure on the detent and with the clamp screw backed off a bit, the tall tang can act the same way.
----------
Long as I'm at it. The sight has range markings along the staff. Unfortunaely, they are blued along with the staff. Better to dissassemble it and polish that area to make the numbers stand out. Very fine grit paper (or abrasive cloth) on a chunk of plate glass will do it in just a few passes.

Short tang sights make it a bit too eacy to slip the butt from your sholder and ram the top of the sight into your face (or eye)...but the same type of misshap can happen with a scope sight as well.

The one you ordered is a good sight...worth the money, but not comparable to the items costing 3X as much. Once set, it will group just as well as the expensive ones. The $ of the higher priced items is in their ability to adjust and re-set with meaningful amounts for each click.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I actually wear glasses anyway so I dont think that will be a problem. I cant wait for the sight to get here so I can fool around with it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
Snarf said:
I actually wear glasses anyway so I dont think that will be a problem. I cant wait for the sight to get here so I can fool around with it.
Glad to hear that... it's one thing to shoot a .45-70 with the old black powder loads (or smokeless equivalent); the modern rifles can up the loads (and recoil!) considerably.

When things like tang sights come back into vogue, not everyone has the knowledge or experience to understand how they can 'bite' - sort of along the lines of the problem Ruger had when they basically reintroduced the single-action revolver to the American public, and people forgot (or never knew) that you didn't carry them with a round under the hammer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well I shot my buffalo classic for the first time today. Quite a beast I must say. Me and the guy I was shooting with got bruised up a bit with it but we both had grins on our faces. We didnt have the rear sight yet but we were still able to get kinda close to an empty propane tank about 180 yards away. It feels so solid. I love it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts