Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into buying an H&R Buffalo Classic Rifle.  It shoots 45-70 Gov't.  I was only wondering if anyone had ever seen or owned one and could tell me if they were worth the investment.  The H&R's run about 300 dollars.  That's pocket change if this thing is going to be a good rifle, but I don't know for sure.
I would also oblige any other suggestions on a good 45-70 rifle.  Moderate price and good quality.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
BT-  I've got an EMF Sharps repro for sale on the trading post thread. Octagonal bbl. Casecolored reciever two sets of sights. very clean & negotiable!
 It's 45/70 and will shoot the black powder as wellas smokeless... Check it out if your interested.
:eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Heard/read a lot of good things about this rifle, but never shot one.  Been using a standard NEF 45-70 for the last 9 years tho, and it's an accurate, hardhitting little sucker.  13 deer so far.  To read a "field test" report on the Buffalo classic, go to www.gunsmagazine.com and click on the Features button.  I'd buy one if they'd (a) build one with a shotgun buttplate and (b) if they'd shorten the barrel a trifle.  I'm a hunter of the
thick woods, not a target shooter.  Also, the BC comes with the usual plastic trigger guard and foreend "iron", but they'll fit steel ones for around $69.00.  Prices I'm hearing on them seem to
be around the $350 mark, but as you know, can vary.

·
Banned
22 Posts
I have both the Target Model (38/55) and the Buffalo Classifc (45/70). Like you say, about $300 each. Best buy you can find on a new firearm today, in my opinion. Both highly accurate, the rolling block single shot action can't be beat. The long barrell is best, gives the rifle good balance. Thick woods don't matter, that's where I live. The 38/55 is a little short, only a 28" barrell, the 45/70 has a 32" barrell. They are not quite as long as they sound, the barrell length includes the part in the receiver. Depends on what you like, the long barrell is my preference. I don't believe I own a rifle with a barrell shorter than 24".

·
Registered
24 Posts
If the H&R Buffalo rifle is a rolling block type action, proceed with caution. They are not terribly strong, and will limit you to loads in the power level of factory ammo, which is deliberately made quite wimpy. It is best used for target shooting with low recoil. I have an NEF in .45-70 (break-action) that has been strong, reliable and accurate, and I keep it in my truck for a back-up rifle. I also would like to recommend the Marlin 1895 lever rifle. I have one and though i have many firearms for hunting deer, elk and bear, the Marlin is used regularly every season in our NW Cascade rain forest. It will easily take an elk out to 200 yds, and it will consistently shoot 3 hole clover leaves at 100 yds. My favorite load is 52 gr. of H3031 behind the 400 gr. Speer Hot-Cor bullet. This is a winner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I thought I should add that, in our area, there are a lot of 1895 Marlins around and a lot of folks have traded in their old ones to buy the stainless 1895 Marlin Guide Gun, which doesn't rust and is shorter and lighter, but still in .45-70. The going price for an older 1895 in good condition is $300. I see them for sale for more, sometimes a lot more, but $300 is what they sell for, and that is about the best deal around on a superb hunting rifle. Be aware that .45-70s with serious hunting loads tend to have recoil in the .375 H&H range. The Nef is really nasty, being so light, and regularly bounces off my shoulder so hard it winds up 4" away. I did put a big, thick recoil pad on it.

·
Banned
170 Posts
BT said:
I've been looking into buying an H&R Buffalo Classic Rifle.  It shoots 45-70 Gov't.  I was only wondering if anyone had ever seen or owned one and could tell me if they were worth the investment.  The H&R's run about 300 dollars.  That's pocket change if this thing is going to be a good rifle, but I don't know for sure.
I would also oblige any other suggestions on a good 45-70 rifle.  Moderate price and good quality.
I bought a bc several weeks ago. I shoot black powder loads in it. They are low-recoiling loads, being black powder, but even they can whoop your shoulder if using 500 grain or heavier bullets. I hate the crescent buttplate, mostly because it doesn't fit my shoulder. It must be made for little guys. If you mount it to your shoulder quickly and don't get it just right, the pointy part of the buttplate can get you. I will be putting a shotgun-style buttplate on it some day.

The forend and buttstock are built narrow and "little". The gun is a lot smaller than I expected (never saw or picked one up before I ordered mine from Cabela's- $430?), so it doesn't fit me real well. I'm 6' 3" and 240 pounds with long arms and big hands. I like a substantial rifle.

The factory sights are for target shooting. I'll be replacing my front sight with a blade front sight. No hoods and circles and stuff for me. The rear sight is plenty good. I like the long barrel! I think the thick brush reasoning for a short barrel is bunk. In fact, you can even use that barrel to beat the H out of the brush and push it aside so you can get through! :) Besides, I feel spooked when using a really short barrel as I'm always afraid I'm gonna put my hand over the muzzle when I shoot, because I hold my left hand out so far sometimes. I know I'm just paranoid, but it feels that way to me.

Lets see, $430 for gun, about $100 for new stock, $10 for new front sight.........

I think that if you are gonna use smokeless and full power loads, you should consider a different stock or different rifle! Ruger no 1 or Marlin (I like the cowboy better than the Guide gun.-longer barrel).

I have lots of expensive rifles, so I did not buy the bc because I could not afford something else. I bought it because I'm going backwards in time with my shooting and like the simplicity of the whole blackpowder deal.

All that stuff being said, the bc seems to be a strong, accurate rifle. And I figure that if I miss the critter with my one shot, I can beat the crap out of the critter with my empty gun and not feel too bad about breaking it. :)

Good shooting!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gibbs Summit 45-70 rifle

BT said:
Today at the local big gunshow, I found a new Gibbs Rifle Co. Summit 45-70. These are like hen's teeth in Canada so I glommed onto it right away. It's built on a Lee Enfield #1 action and should handle some fairly sharp loads. I can hardly wait to shoot it...

·
Registered
193 Posts
The H&R 45-70 BC

I've been hunting with mine for two years and have no problem with it. It shoots very accurate and the recoil is no more than a 12 gauge shotgun. The fit and finish is excellent. I've taken two deer with it and several ground hogs.

Hunting in thick brush isn't any trouble, but carrying it around all day is, so I use one of those temporary shotgun slings, which works just fine.

The H&R is not a rolling block as someone had suggested, it is a break open gun. I shoot standard 405 grain bullets with decent results.

The gun comes with eight different apeture sights.

The gun has a good balance to it and fun to shoot. If your are recoil sensitive, just use a slip over shotgun pad, or wear heavy clothes.

I picked mine up for $325 out the door new in the case.

The front target sights get some getting use to for hunting, but actually they can be used as a range finder. Practice shooting at a deer target at different distances and gage the size of the deer in relationship to the size of the apeture.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Marlin 1895 45-70

The Malin 1895 45-70 is an excellent choice, then throw on a williams FP sight and you set

·
Registered
45 Posts
The HR is a great rifle with one of the strongest chaimbers available. I used to own a rifle exactly the same as the HR buffalo classic made by Wesson and Harington it also said buffalo classic on the barrel you couldnt tell them apart. I heard that Wesson and Harington split up years ago and it is now Harington and Richardson but im sure the guns quality hasnt changed so you wont be disapointed. I used to load 505 grain soft lead bullets for deer. They looked just like shotgun slugs when recovered from stumps. These rifles are extremely accurate and i miss mine dearly. If you are looking for an alternative the marlin 1895 cowboy is a gret rifle.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The Wesson & Harrington Buffalo Classic and Target were made by H&R in Gardner MA, they were called that prior to being called just H&R Buffalo Classic and Target, they even had the same model numbers, the only difference was they came with no sights and had a WH serial number prefix, subsequently they had H? serial number prefixes, the H = H&R, the second letter ? denoting year of manufacture. The 38-55 Target was discontinued this year and is no longer available as a complete rifle, but it's still listed as an accessory barrel. I have two of each, two of the BCs, one in 45-70 and the other rechambered to 45-120-3¼" Sharps Straight, and two Targets, one in 38-55 and the other rechambered and rebored to 405 Winchester, all shoot 1" or better with smokeless loads.

http://buffaloclassic.tripod.com/

H&R/NEF Year of Manufacture Code

1 - 13 of 13 Posts