Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have some questions about lube/sizers. I am going to be casting some 500, and 405 grain bullets for 45/70. I figure I will need a sizer to true them up and lube them. Will I need a sizer with a heater or will one do without. Pro & Cons????????????

Thanks guys
Steve

·
Inactive account
788 Posts
You may not need to size them. I have pan lubed a lot of .45-70 bullets with good success.
If you want a lube-sizer, go ahead. The only reason you might need a heater is if you intend to use some of the very hard lubes. Most of my lubricating has been done with softer lubes, such as Alox-beeswax.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,233 Posts
I shoot 90% of the bullets I cast unsized just tumble lubed. Lee make a very cost effective sizing die that fits in you reloading press. Just tumble lube the bullets and run them thru the Lee die if you feel you must size them. The heater on a conventional sizing press just warms the lube so it will flow better. If you are at normal room temp, you won't need one.

·
Banned
21 Posts
If however you try to size at room temps of around 50deg as I do at times, you will blow the O rings out of the sizer if you don't heat the sizer up somehow. PITA to take it apart and put them back into the grooves. I use a heat gun sometimes. You really do need temps of 65deg+ to not have a problem sizing. I wish I had a sizer heater.... my basement can get cold in winter.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I got a Midway heater.
Dang - just checked, and it looks like they don't have them anymore…

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.