Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thumbing thru Lymans 1999 catalog and noticed a unique limited edition mold listed. It's a .45-70 collar button mold designed to have the same weight as a round ball, but with a grease groove and two bands for accuracy. They found the original cherry and only made 100 of the molds. Was wondering if anyone out there is fortunate enough to have one and how the little buggers shoot. I'm tempted to call Lyman tomorrow to see if they still have any.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Jeff,

Lyman did make a limited run of the collar button .45-70 molds in '99, and they quickly sold out of them.  I've tried the bullets, and they shoot OK, but nothing to write home about, as I've found a simple round ball to shoot as well or better at the modest velocities that typifies usefullness of this kind of load.

Also, for quite some time now NEI Handtools has been cutting the same bullet design in their blocks.

Here's an image of their rendition of the collar button:

Here's a link:

http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/frame.html

Hope this helps!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marshall,
          Thanks. You are the man !

Jeff

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Cast n Blast,
I just mentioned my collar button mould,on another thread to Marshall.
I have an original Lyman mold,and I had it quite a while. I never had much luck with it,though.
This year,I am going to try cotton ball fillers,and one of the bullets will be the collar button.
Frank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts