Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
668 Posts
Years ago I killed several deer with the 330 grain Gould hollow point made from water quenched wheel weights. Hard enough to be driven 1800 fps and soft enough to mushroom on deer.

The 300 grain LaserCast can be driven up to 2200 fps (up to 53.3 grains of Reloder 7, start 10% below and work up) and also works great on deer.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
I think you will find that cast bullets kill game as good as anything else. I loaded some Lee 340 grs at 1500 fps for my hunting buddy. He killed a couple of deer with them. I have killed several with the 265 gr lead in my 444. Just got my 45-70 this year and have not had a chance to hunt with it. The owner of this board sells some of the best cast bullets on the market. Check them out.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,103 Posts
No, but I've shot a lot of stuff with a .45 Colt revolver and hard cast bullets. If it has a big flat nose on it, you'd be surprised how well it kills.

Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to hear, I'll stick close to the 300-350 grain mark at under 2000 fps. Ought to be comfortable shooting.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
My 260 gr. Keith SWC at 900 fps out of my Uberti Flat Top Target revolver is comfortable and kills deer just fine out to 50 yards or so. I don't even want to shoot a 350 at 2000 fps, even from a heavy rifle. Call me a wimp, but I still have a few brain cells left -- either the reason why I don't want to shoot such, or the result of feeling that way! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
LOL! 300 gr .44 WFN's at 700+/- fps from the Rossi 92 drive through deer at 25 yards and they don't walk far after that! And the neighbors don't complain about noise either. You will be surprised at how well big heavy bullets kill at slow to moderate velocities. Throw those 350's around 1200 and enjoy shooting :)

Sincerely,
Your Shoulder

BTW, I did a penetration test with this load before using it on deer. Penetrated 30" of h20, punched through aluminum pot and proceeded to bury itself over 4" into ground/red clay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts