Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally stopped by the welding shop and got 2 steel plates that are the perfect size for lapping from the scrap bin.  Did 6 bullets last night and they look good.  I asked this question a few months ago and believe the answer was start at 6 grains, can anyone confirm.  BTW these are for a 18 1/2" barrel guide gun.   KevinNY

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Kevin,

Yes, either 5.5 or 6.0 grains of Red Dot will work well for a lapping load in the .45-70.  Keep in mind, that you only want to get the bullet out the bore, nothing more.

Let us know how things work out for you!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marshall.   I will start fire lapping friday with my first 6 rounds then go home and clean and finish up on the weekend.  I put 100 jacketed bullets thru the gun first and then cleaned it down to bare steel.  After shooting highpower all summer it will be fun to get back to hunting guns for the fall now. BTW I will fire over a chronograph and report the velocities.
KevinNY

(Edited by KevinNY at 10:26 am on Sep. 20, 2001)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fired the first 6 lapping rounds this morning.  I used 6.2 grains of red dot with a 420 grain WW cast bullet seated fully into the case like a wadcutter.  they were getting to the 20o yard backstop with lots of drop.  A finger inserted into the muzzle came out with a greasy dark gray coat of lapping grease.  Just a couple of streaks of lead in front of 2 of the ports but that is to be expected I guess.  I will go back tomorrow and use a bit less powder, the next cavity down on the lee auto disk which throws 5.7 grains or so. Bullets miked .4625 as cast.   KevinNY

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fired lapping rounds 12 thru 18 today with less powder, 5.5 grains red dot.  Bullets were plainly visible in flight.  Barrel tool marks seem to have smoothed out nicely so far.  Marshall informed me that it could take up to 30 or 40 rounds to completely eliminate any constrictions at the dovetail cuts in the barrel.  I am going to clean it out good and try some regular loads of a 420 Gr. FPGC with 30 grains of XMP-5744 and see how it goes. I anticipate it should perform well with the gas checks but may continue lapping if any leading shows up.  KevinNY

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, MK:
  There's a through discussion back at:
<a href="http://beartoothbullets.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=2&topic=23

" target="_blank">http://beartoothbullets.com/cgi-bin....c=23

</a>   Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put my first 15 full power rounds thru the guide gun on saturday, 30 grains of XMP-5744 and a 420 gr FNGC bullet cast from half WW alloy half melted down commercial cast alloy 92-6-2.  Shot right to where the sights were set at 50 yards , just over an inch group.  1370 fps.  Saw one streak of lead near the muzzle on one of the lands,will clean it out tonight and see if its just a smear and cleans easy or will lap further. Used Lyman black moly lube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts