Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done any load development using RL7 with BTB 405gr. and/or 450gr. LFNGC bullets.I still have 3 pounds left and want to use it up.I will probably take
Marshall's advise and go to H335 in the future.Thanks.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Seems you and I are working the same side of the street, using RL-7 in a 45-70. I'm working with a 445 GC grain Lyman cast bullet with this powder. I started at 40 grains and jumped in two grain increments to 48. Mainly I wanted to get used to the rifle with this first go around. Now that I've put a 160 rounds through it I'll go back and be a bit more precise and see how it really works.
None of the loads really did all that bad but none were outstanding.
Jim

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I had purchased a 350 grain gas check mold from Saeco to try with my 45-70, 1886 Winchester. I finally got out to the range Sunday.
Starting with 45 grains of RL-7 and going to 46.5 grains in half grain increments. The accuracy was not bad for any of the loads. The main difference between all of the loads is they got a bit higher, maybe a half inch with each half grain increase.
This is contrary to my experience in the past, with other rifles and calibers. For me, as I increased the powder charge the center of the group would go down.
I'll get better groups when I get the tang sight installed as the buckhorn does leave a lot to be desired, as far as being precise.
What I find so interesting with both of my 45-70 is the point of impact does not vary to much. My Siamese Mauser will put 405's, 445's and 500's all with in the same 2 inch circle. This new 1886 seems to do the same with 445 grain slugs and these new 350 grain.
Jim

·
Registered
255 Posts
I just load for the Ruger and 300gr jacketed at that.Reloader #7 is my powder. I'm running a little over 2300fps with 60 gr. I use 25gr 2400 for a plinking load with a pb300gr. I also load a 50gr load intermediate with 300gr jacketed and it's doing 2100. They all group within 1" center at 100 yds. My rolling block isn't that accurate, but I never really played with it. It'll do 3" at 100 so why bother.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I've gotten that sort of accuracy out of my bolt gun, using a scope. The problem I had, I kept disassembling the scope. I got tired of sending it back and having it fixed.
I stick with the Lyman reciever sight and am happy with 3 inch groups when I do my part.
I should add that I use nothing but cast slugs in mine. I found that 4064 worked the best for me. This was determined by accuracy and my comfort level. 50 to 54 grains of 4064 and a 445 grain slug were just what the doctor ordered.
Jim

·
Registered
48 Posts
RE 7 IS THE BEST POWDER FOR LIGHT BULLETS AND H322 FOR 400+ GR. BULLETS. IN THE 45/70. FOR 405 GR. I WOULD NOT EXCEED 48.0 GR. OF RE 7 IN A MARLIN.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts