Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the 45/70 Marlin and would like to know what you guys are loading in the Marlin GG.
For practice I am using 28 gr and 36.6 gr of H4198 under the 405gr. lead bullet

·
Registered
204 Posts
Try Beartooth Bullets Loadswap section. They have 27 loads listed for the 45-70 and I'm sure that most will be for the Marlin 1895.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
45/70 loads

The loads listed on load swap got me started , but, I am looking for a bit more in the 300gr, 330 to 450 range of lead bullets thsat some of the members might be using and have some expertise.
Coyote hunter on the Marlin forum was of more help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Harry,
Try 32.0 grs of 2400 for your 300-330 gr gas checked rounds. You'll get about 1700-1800 fps. Very pleasant and accurate load.:D I shoot the RCBS 300gr FNGC and get 1.5 to 2.0 " At 100 yds. Hope this helps.
Jeff

·
Banned
1 Posts
Hey, Harry Snippe

I've been using an interesting load. 36 grains of RL-7 behind a 515 grain cast by Gardner's Cache. Probably moving along at 1450fps. It will certainly shake you awake if you're not 100% up yet when you touch her off!

Let us know what you end up with!:cool:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
45/70 cast 405 gr lead

Well I am shooting
45 gr of IMR3031 under a 405 cast bulletand getting good results forom my guide gun.

Also loaded 50Gr.R7 and 440 cast lead and am hppy with the load.
I am usingWinchester case's and Win mag primers.

Good powder burn and no leading:)

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
For The Marlin .45-70's here are a couple tried and true tack driving loads.

BTB .460"-405g LFNGC/56.0g H335/WLRP/Rem or Starline Brass

BTB .460"-405g LFNGC/52.0g H322/WLRP/Rem or Starline Brass

Both of the above loads are 1900-2000 fps loads depending upon the barrel length, but are proven to be exceptionally accurate in virtually every Marlin tested.

Another pair of tack drivers, stepping up a notch"

BTB .460"-425g WLNGC/50.0g H322/WLRP/Rem or Starline Brass

BTB .460"-425g WLNGC/53.0g H335/WLRP/Rem or Starline Brass

This pair of loads are outstanding in the accuracy department and are solid 1900 fps loads out of the Marlin 1895SS.

Enjoy!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regarding bear tooth bullets

I have tried to contact beartooth bullets before and recieved no response.
I was looking for a price delivered here in Ontario Canada.
With a six month wait I rather not put a Visa # down to order .
The gas checked bullet they sell sure looks intersting but how'd do you get some?
I am using 405 plain grainers now on plates and still looking for the sweet spot.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
I'm sorry, we have been very busy here, and sometimes email occasionally falls between the cracks.... my appologies.

We've been working very hard to diminish our backlog, and get our order turn-around time to a more reasonable time-table, and indeed we are making some headway in that direction.

We note that we have a six month backlog simply so you know right up front that we don't have standing inventory available for shipment. I will say that for the most part, the big .45 caliber rifle bullets are no longer in the six-month wait category.

Regarding shipping to Ontario, we use US Postal Service and have had excellent delivery records, with no interference to date from customs and timely delivery once north of the border. Too, the expense is much more reasonable than when using UPS.

I hope this helps, and rest assured, that the reason you see so few of my posts on the forum in the last several months, is we are feverishly working to make and ship bullets rather than type away on these forums! The work is paying off, as the backlog is becoming less, and it appears that by mid-summer we'll have things down to a matter of weeks rather than months in terms of delivery times.

Thanks for the post and the interest.

God bless,

Marshall

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
Harry,

I've never had my credit card charged before the bullets were shipped. Go ahead and order them, you won't be disappointed.

·
Banned
106 Posts
.45-70 loads

Hi

I have a load that works for me. I don't recommemd it for anyone else. Use it at your own risk. I'm using the lee 340 rf bullet with 48.5 grains of imr 4198. The rifle is the nef handi-rifle. I get around 1750 fps. I've never shot anything oher then paper. I don't recall the group size. This is over max load. My rifle didn't break. That doesn't mean your rifle can take it. I don't recommend this load because it IS over the MAXIMUM listed load. If you opt to try this load, you do so at your own risk.

Take care and God bless.

Tom

·
Registered
153 Posts
I load .45-70 for an 1886 Winchester and like IMR3031, IMR4198 and Reloader 7.

My gun's favorite load in a 405gr cast bullet is 40 grains of Reloader 7. This is a pretty "middle-of-the-road" load and lots of fun to shoot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Harry, I also shoot 45 grs of 3031 behind a lasercast 405 gr flat nose bullet with good results. I use Federal nickel cases and CCI 200 primers. My rifle is the 1895 CB

·
Banned
106 Posts
I'm thinking real hard about a new CVA centerfire rifle. Wall Mart charges $303 and change. The rifle seems to be a TC clone. Does anyone out there have any experience with this rifle. All I know is, it's made in Spain. My NEF has cost me far too much. I'm waiting for the NEF to get back from it's second trip to the factory. Both trips on my dime. I'm looking for a change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts