Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 47-70 marlin guide gun does anyone have some good loads for cast bullets. ( 405gr)Im shooting 45grs. 4198 with horn. 350gr. r.n. In my line of work i have to shoot lots of wounded game, moose etc. I think this would be a great gun for this type of thing. Looking for some good info.  thanks and good hunting!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Warden,
        I have a guide gun on the way from Brockmans Custom in ID,you might want want to check out his work on their website.  Marshall has informed me that the porting will wreck haoc on your accuracy with plain base bullets and recommended I stick with GC's only and sized to .460.
                                             KevinNY

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Idaho Warden,

I do have a load that has proven to be extremely consistent and predictable in those guide guns with a 405g pill.

I have shared this load with untold numbers of customers with reported results all the same, including John Taffin who tested our bullets.  It typically shoots into something under and inch with proper sights.

BTB .460"-405g LFNGC/56.0g H335/WLRP/Win brass/2020fps

Also:

BTB .460"-405g LFNGC/50.0 H322/WLRP/Win Brass/1950 fps.

Both excellent loads, in unported guns not at all pleasant to shoot, but in the ported Guide Gun, they are very managable, and capable of anything you would call on that levergun to do!

Hope this helps!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I'd suggest that you take the same load and put a 405 grain cast slug in front of it. The 450 GC slug made and sold here looks like it would be great with 50 or 52 grains of 4064 behind it.
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts