Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the ballistics of the 45-70(modern rifle) in Hodgdon listings. A 300gr bullet was listed at 2532 fps. The 375 H&H using 300gr bullet and the same powder was listed at 2645 fps. Has anyone had any experience with the Ruger#1 in the 45-70?

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
I owned a Ruger #3 in 45-70 and loved it. Wish I had never sold it. The #1 is a little heavier which will make it much more fun to shoot. The little #3 would put a pounding on you with heavy loads.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a #1 but only shoot 405's out of it, so I cant help you with the 300's but can tell you it is a awesome rifle and the recoil really isnt that bad once you get use to it. My load using 405gr bullets has the same trajectory out to 125yds as the leverevolution does out of my guide gun.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I shoot the Hornady 300 gr. Jacketed, but I will forewarn that they are explosive. I shot my deer at about 2200fps and it took out 4 ribs and 5 vertebrae. I am going to work up some loads using the 350 fp and round nose version interlocks next. I did however love the accuracy as I was getting .875" to 1.25" groups at 100 yards with iron sights. It'd probably be a killer bullet doing silhouette competitions or similar. 8) My load for them with the best accuracy was 46.7gr. Reloader7, which is the only powder I use in the .45-70 platform now. I also loaded 325 gr. FTX bullets with a very minor variation in elevation of POI. These also shot very accurately. At speeds over about 1800fps, they are pretty explosive also. I load FTX's up with 34.3 gr. Reloader7 for trap door level loads and my wife's loads as she's pretty recoil sensitive. Try them out, but I wouldn't use these for large, ie. elk, moose etc game.

I do use Unique for my round ball loads though. ;)

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I shoot a 45/70 in the Marlin 1895 model! On large game animals I like those 405 bullet weight. The target work gets dropped down to a 300 grn bullet and soft powder loads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts