Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed to death, But I need some info on 45-70 loads. A friend of mine just got a T/C in 45-70. He reloads, but hasn't bought the dies for this round yet. I have an extra set of dies I was gonna give him, along with a handfull of Cast bullets. I want to give him a safe load recipe for 350g, 425g btb's, and 525g btb's. What powder could I tell him to use that will work with all these weights? Not too weak, but not killers either. I've been using 4759 in my loads, but thats for a BFR. What would you guys recomend? And how many grains for each weight?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had I responed to this post last week I would have said 4198. I load 29 grns of 4198 for my 405 grn cast bullet. It equals the velocity of the army trap door load, about 1300 fps.

But that was last week.

I read the article in the last issue of Handloader Mag ref: trail boss powder and tried it this weekend.

Per advise of the article, I loaded my 375 H&H with 75% of the case from the bottom of the seated bullet. I used a 270 gr jacketed bullet and was amazed. Mild w/a velocity of 1340 fps.

Nice thing about Trai Boss, you dont need filler to fill up the case. I havent figured out how much TB needed for the 45-70, but its on the list with my 416 Rigby and my 44-90 Sharps Bottleneck (in an old remington 1876 Rolling Block).

Trail Boss opens up a whole new world in reloading.

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
Alliant's manual only shows a few loads for Reloder 7. The 300 grain bullet calls for 42 grains for Trapdoors, and 47 grains for Lever guns, for the 350 grain SP in Trap Doors, it calls for 35 grains.

For Reloder 10x they show 44 grains for the 400 grain SP in Levers and 39 grains for Trap Doors. There are some loads in Loadswap that you might want to check out. All of the loads I listed are "max" and need to be worked up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.