Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I would love to hear some advice on getting a 45-70. I want one to shoot and hunt with.

I am interested in a lever gun and like the 1886, as far as I know doing a little research.

so basically I think I am interested in the Winchester and Browning

should I consider any others? (miroku or something I am unaware of?)

also should I get the regular 1886 or the Carbine? How does performance and ballistics differ?

how do the "Take down 1886" guns perform. {it does seem like traveling with a take down version would be more convenient, as far as luggage baggage and airlines}

How do these guns compare to the Marlin or the 1885 cowboy rifle?

Thanks for any advice or experience you can share. I hope to get one for myself as a Christmas gift.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,868 Posts
I really like my 1895 Marlin "Cowboy". 26" tapered octagon barrel. :cool:

RJ

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I would love to hear some advice on getting a 45-70. I want one to shoot and hunt with.

I am interested in a lever gun and like the 1886, as far as I know doing a little research.

so basically I think I am interested in the Winchester and Browning

should I consider any others? (miroku or something I am unaware of?)

also should I get the regular 1886 or the Carbine? How does performance and ballistics differ?

how do the "Take down 1886" guns perform. {it does seem like traveling with a take down version would be more convenient, as far as luggage baggage and airlines}

How do these guns compare to the Marlin or the 1885 cowboy rifle?

Thanks for any advice or experience you can share. I hope to get one for myself as a Christmas gift.
I have an 86 (made in 1986) Browning (by Miroku) rifle. Bought it nearly 20 years ago. I'll never sell it. Put 4000+ rounds thru it too. It will handle longer heavier bullets than a Marlin will, due to it's action length (the originals were also chambered for 45-90 and 50-110) It shoots everything well, from 300 grain to 500+ grainers. Not too accurate with black powder though, cleanup is too involved anyway. Had the carbine too, but sold it. The recoil with full house loads is the main reason I sold it. And the fact that it looks and feels like a 92 carbine on steroids. For hunting, though it would be a little easier to handle and carry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a new 1886 take down. It shoots as well as I can at 100 yds with open sights. At 50 yds I can put two out of three shots touching. Plenty accurate for deer in the midwest.

The fit and finish is great on mine, which is the deluxe with the fancy wood and checkering.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I also have a Browning 1886 carbine that I love, I have been looking around, not that I want onther one, but I do like to look, I have seen one made by Chiappa, I think that is how it is spelled, any way it looks like a great gun, from what I can see it does not have the rebounding hammer like the Winchesters, or the tang safty, they do have color case hardening, beautifull guns.
Terry

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I also have a Browning 1886 carbine that I love, I have been looking around, not that I want onther one, but I do like to look, I have seen one made by Chiappa, I think that is how it is spelled, any way it looks like a great gun, from what I can see it does not have the rebounding hammer like the Winchesters, or the tang safty, they do have color case hardening, beautifull guns.
Terry
They list it on their website, but none of their listed distributors do. Dixie , Cimmaron and Taylors are among those listed as distributors. They list it in 45/70 and 444 marlin. Love to have one in 444 to be able to shoot longer heavier bullets.

·
Registered
167 Posts
They list it on their website, but none of their listed distributors do. Dixie , Cimmaron and Taylors are among those listed as distributors. They list it in 45/70 and 444 marlin. Love to have one in 444 to be able to shoot longer heavier bullets.
Really, you would think they would be all over that!
Do they make a good heavy bullet for the 444? I thought you where pretty much stuck with 44 pistol bullets, but I haven't checked closely because I don't have one.

Today I had the opportunity to hold a Winchester 1886 with the half mag, it was sweet in the hand, but I also held a Marlin 1895 Cowboy, I am not really a fan of the Marlin, but it was a nice gun, I might just think about one, if I can't find a Browning 71...that I can afford.
Terry

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
There are some heavier 444 bullets out there, but most have feeding problems due to the length of the nose portion. I bought a big bore 94 in 444 and the rifling lead is too short to shoot longer bullets, nevermind them popping up from the magazine. Neither would be a problem in a longer action like the 86.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.