Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,085 Posts
I have Browning BPCR in 45-70. I only shoot it with black powder or low pressure smokeless loads. The manual states it can be used with higher pressure loads but it is defeating the purpose of the rifle. The rifling is 1" in 18" and is cut for softer cast bullets that are fired with blackpowder. It is superbly accurate at 500 yards and beyond with them. If you read about hunts for Buffalo with these they routinely shoot through the beasts with black powder. You don't need more than that. The sights are designed more for precision long range shooting, something the +P loads aren't the best for. I get strings of ten shots that have 5 fps or less deviation with blackpowder when they are loaded correctly.

A truly fun rifle that can be shot with accuracy, mild recoil and noise within its design.

· Registered
1,085 Posts
Ribbonstone has a good suggestion. I picked up a new Handi-rifle in 45-70 in a trade. It was one of the most accurate rifles I ever had out of the box. It worked well with any reasonable cast load I tried. I stayed away from the level 3 or very high pressure loads because of the light weight of the rifle. It was a knuckle buster with heavy loads.

If I were to buy a CHEAP no worry protection rifle for the wilds, this would be on the list. I sold it to a freind and bought a lever 45-70.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.