Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 I just got a .444S the other week and have enjoyed it.  However, I have an strong desire to trade it in on a guide gun / outfitter.  Marshall published some really hot loads for the .444.  He had a 330grain bullet going 2225fps.  That's a sectional density of 0.256.

Can you get a .45-70 going that hot with the same sectional density and maintain safe pressures?  (i.e. a 350-400 grain bullet going ~2225fps)

Thanks,
QD

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Quickdraw,

Comparing the .444 and .45-70 is much like comparing the .270 and .30-06 cartridges.  They are similar but different.  The .45-70 can deliver more sheer horsepower, but few if any big-bore cartridges can equal the versatility of the .444.

I am currently in the middle of putting the finishing touches on a 12 part article on the .444 Marlin:

.444 Marlin- America's Most Versatile Big-Bore

Part I
Part II

I think that you will find it very informative as each part is published, and that you will be quite happy to have your .444 Marlin in the end!

I hope you find this of benefit!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
10 Posts
Marshall,

Great piece on the triple four.  I have always been a huge fan of this chambering, but often found myself defending it's attributes and capabilities to the 45-70 user.  The 30-06 and 270 WCF comparison is very appropriate.  There is not much the 30-06 can do that the 270 can't and the same holds true with the 45-70 and 444 Marlin.

I was wondering if you have ever read an article done on the triple four by Robert Sherwood.  It appeared in a tenth edition of Handloader's Digest.  It is titled "The 444 Formula For Survival".  In it, he describes the awesome versiltility of the chambering from it's ability to launch standard big game bullets such as Hornady's 265 grain to shooting bird and rabbit scatter gun loads, lead cast balls (both single and multiple, cast bullets, 44 Magnum pistol bullets, and its general accuracy with not only smokeless powder, but getting good results with black powder as well.  It is for this reason he deems it the ultimate survival chambering.

I had seen you mention  some health issues you have been confronting.  I hope you are well at this writing and I will add a prayer for you this day. Keep up the great work as I truely enjoy your writings.

I would like to add  something to my original post.  Mr Sherwood's claims are based on someones expertise in the use of Lyman tong tools, bullet sizers, lead pot and laddles and a knowledge of powders, burn rate, ballistics and expert reloading.  He is obviously a seasoned expert.  In no way do I wish to advocate or convey anyone experimenting as this author has with loading the 444 Marlin case with these various projectiles and powders.  The basis of the article was only to illustrate the point that the 444 Marlin may be the best all around game getter (from grouse to moose) when confronted with a must to survive in the wild.  I believe the article was directed at bush pilots.

Take Good Care
~rossi~

(Edited by rossi at 8:16 am on July 14, 2001)

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Rossi,

It seems that I have missed that particular article. I don't have that edition of the Handloader's Digest, and would certainly appreciate it if someone here on the forum does, that they might scan the article and email it to me as an attatchment.  Funny, it sounds like he covered much the same ground as my 12 part article is going to plow in depth!  Indeed it would make a superb survival gun.

Thanks too for the kind words and I appreciate your prayers.   We are still awaiting results from recent biopsy tests.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
10 Posts
Marshall,

I believe I have the article at my office and would be more than happy  to e-mail it  to you Monday morning in Acrobat Reader format.  I assume your e-mail address is hanging around somewhere on this website.

~rossi~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts