Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my 1885 High Wall in 45-70 that I have been wanting and waiting for, for quite awhile. I want to load my cartridge  for this firearm with blackpowder instead of smokeless.  My question. Where do I find info on loading the 45-70 cartridges with black powder.  I may be just not looking in the right areas, but my reloading manuals do not show any. I want to use black powder or one of its subs.  I shoot CAS and want to use this fine rifle for long range shooting. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks,  joe

·
Registered
306 Posts
joe,
put long range shooting in your search window,hit the search bar and when it comes up go to the web pages down to nr. 18. Its called Shoot to day, kill tomarrow. He's got several loads there and some advise on doing the bpcs.
I have a replica Creedmore and replica Sharps (both I-tell-yun made). Been using winchester brass as all the experts say that its thinner and will hold more.
Dont know ifin your aware but b/p is measured by volume not weight. and dropped down a copper or alum. tube from about 24 inches into the case. I've be working with 65 grs of clear shot (hodgen) and 65 grs of pyrodex RS (hodgen) behind a 405 gr cast bullet. Have several diffrent books that give a couple of loads, ifin you need help with any of it e-mail me direct and will give you all the info I have and what little knowlage(sp) I have, would be glad to help another shooter.

John

·
Registered
123 Posts
Joe,

Start by getting the Black Powder Primer by Mike Venterino and Steve Garbe.  There is a WEALTH of information in there.  Second, forget everything you know about loading smokeless powder!  Then buy the book, Loading the Springfield .45-70 by Wolfe.  After you have devoured each of those, go to Buffalo Arms Co in Sandpoint, Idaho websight and look for the proper tools to do the job.  Then, and only then, you have a slight start on the project and probably the addiction.

dclark

·
Registered
306 Posts
Joe, I agree with dclark. I just got my copy of  Pat Wolfs book couple of weeks ago and just about have the pages worn out on the corners. I also have the other book he mentioned on my loading bench with worn corners also. The book from Pat is $19.95 plus shipping (couple of bucks) ifin you want she will autograph it for you. Her e-mail address and bus. address are as follows:
[email protected]

Wolf's Western Traders
1250 Santa Cora #613
Chula Vista CA 91913-1555
PH # 619-482-1701

Hope this helps

Gun Runner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts