Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Magnum primers have been recommended. Can I get away with regular primers. Also any advice on 'boolit' selection would be appreciated. I am leaning toward 500 gr bore rider??? Also any thoughts on powder compression??

Thanks

Mc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mclernon
I have had the best luck with standard primers. I use cci br2 or wlr primers.
For bullets, the lyman 457132 has been a good bullet for me in bpcr silhouette and gong shoots.
Powder compression is something you'll have to play with. I have used some lots of Goex 2f
that worked well with over .300 compression after being drop tubed while other lots were not tolerant to
that much compression.
Currently I'm using 86 grns. Goex 2f Express in stretched Remington cases for my 45-90.
Compression is around .25 .
I have some Swiss 1.5 fg that i'm giving a test run and it is working pretty good with very minimal compression.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Stick with standard primers. The CCI br2 was the primers were the ones I had all my loads worked up for including 45-90 but I ran out of them and can't get my hands on any more. Now WLR and they working fine.

The 457132 Lyman bullet is good one .The Lee 459-500-3R will work well if you need to stay on budget.

Powder wise I use Swiss1.5 in the 45-90 and .250 is the most you want to compress it and I use the postell 457132 and I like it.

My load is very simple Starline case, WLR primer, 1.5 Swiss powder thru a drop tube, compressed .250, .60 card, newspaper between card and bullet, 457132 bullet 1/30 mix ,SPG lube, sized .459 and taper crimp. I do anneal my brass and load chamber sized brass I don't re-size my brass. This load works very good in my Highwall 34" barrel.

·
Registered
252 Posts
For what ever it may be worth to you...When I was shooting black powder cartridge
rifles,I found that the large pistol primers gave me a lot better accuracy and S.D
Now some frone on this use...I say use what works for you...

·
Banned
105 Posts
There is a book by a fellow named Wolf that did extensive research on the trapdoor in 45-70 and I believe that he says to use the large pistol primers. I've never seen anyone recommend magnum primers for the black powder loads, in fact I've seen extensive discussion on the use of nitrated paper over the primer to reduce the powder getting into the primer pocket and reduce the primers thump so that the black burns more consistent.
I would say to try both large rifle and large pistol primers and see what you have the most consistent results with.
Another thing that is recommended is to use a drill bit to uniform the primer flash hole and get rid of the punched brass chad that is sometimes found inside the case.
Look at http://www.the45-70book.com/ for the supplies to setup your black powder loading.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've tried pistol primers in the 45-70 and 40-65 RL and could not see any difference. The one thing was in the Shiloh 40-65 RL It deformed and puckerd the primers and when you dropped the block you had resistance and you could see were the primer was scraping on the block. The primers CCI 300 and they were deformed bad enough that my lyman shell holder since it has flat base with no relief, wouldn't alow the shell to slide into deprime them. The RCBS shell holder has that relief and had one of those and that problem was fixed.
I never seen the diff in accuracy in 45-70 and problems right off in the 40-65RL,
so I'm done with experimenting with them for now.

·
Banned
199 Posts
I use standard primers in my .45/90, and cast my own bullets from a Lee 500gn 3R mould.
I was using 88gns of 2F and compressing a fair bit after drop tubing to get the bullet in, I never measured it but it would be more than .30". Used a homemade lube consisting of beeswax, neatsfoot oil and soap. The bullet was seated into the case with a die but never crimped, and I didn't resize any brass after firing. My Chiappa Sharps would group around 2" at 100yds with this load, but I had to run a wet wipe down the barrel between shots.

I haven't reloaded for the Sharps in over a year but when I find the time to get back into it, I'd like to back the powder charge off to about 80gns or so and run a cookie. I was always envious of the guys who could fire shot after shot without cleaning.

I wouldn't sweat over the primer issue too much, just experiment with a few different loads until you find something that works. The game I used to shoot called for a rifle that would deliver about Moa to be truly competitive. All the top shooters had rifles that were capable of that, and while a lot were custom rigs, quite a few were just italian repro's shooting the right load. These days I just shoot single action long range with the big sticks, a lot less frustrating!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Davids

Hello everybody,

Nice work "Ben Drinkin"

I have had the best luck with standard primers. I use cci br2 or wlr primers.
For bullets, the lyman 457132 has been a good bullet for me in bpcr silhouette and gong shoots.
Powder compression is something you'll have to play with. I have used some lots of Goex 2f
that worked well with over .300 compression after being drop tubed while other lots were not tolerant to
that much compression.
Currently I'm using 86 grns. Goex 2f Express in stretched Remington cases for my 45-90.
Compression is around .25 .
I have some Swiss 1.5 fg that i'm giving a test run and it is working pretty good with very minimal compression.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,293 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts