Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for someone to rechamber a new Winchester 1886 Extra-Lite from 45-70 to 45-90.  Anyone have any ideas on who can do this work.  Any comments on the conversion are welcome too. I am looking for a bit more power than the 45-70 without having to form the brass like a 450 Alaskan.
Garth

·
Registered
9 Posts
I beleive you can get more 'oomph' out the 45/70 with the right loads than you will need or WANT in that light gun; look at the loads using H4198 in the hodgson manual, listed for the new 86 and the new marlins; I have fired loads almost warm thru an extra-lght weight winchester and it is iumpressive!! my 11 year old didn't want to watch it lift me and the gun off the sand bags anymore! You certainly can rechamber it to the 45/90 and you could do this yourself with the rental of the reamer but any real gunsmith should be able to do this for you. you may need to modify the loading gate area slightlyand  you can check whether it will feed thru the action by making a dummy round with a 45/70 case with the bullet seated out to the 45/90 overall length; if not it should be a relative simple modification too.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The current Hodgdon H335, H322. Alliant Re-7, H4198, and IMR4198 as well as Varget and IMR4895 have a full gamut of loads available to be utilized in the 45-70 without even considering the 45-90 which was a Winchester Express chambering of the 45-70. Light bullets with high for black powder velocities. If talking points are needed at the range, a 45-90 might be nice, but I've never run out of load options in 35yrs of the 45-70 in Ruger and 1879 Rolling Block loadings. I've seen serious shooters flinch wildly with my Ruger loads. A 6pound #3 with 300gr at 2375 fps is serious shooting. With 405gr running at 2200fps, it'll definitely waken you up. These are out of a 22" barrel and 1/2"groups are possible for 3shots from 1550 to the 2375 load. I feel you'll be lucky to achieve that with a 45-90, unless you go to a longer barrel. The loading density will be less, for sure. The 45-70 is one inherently accurate old round.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yes, you make the point better than I did; anyone who shoots these loads in a light weight gun [like the extra light weight 86, or the marlin 95 centenniel model, will not wish for more! and I too have found many of these to be very accurate...unless one is going to use blackpowder there's little to be gained [beyond expense and aggravation !] by going to the 45/90; I have an old 86 in 45/90 that I play with with black powder equivalent loads mostly...love the 45/70 and use it for about all my hunting including moose and caribou.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both of you have valid points. I want it because when loaded to the same pressure I can get 100-150 fps more than the 45-70 and I think it will handle the heavier bullets better since there is more case capacity.  I also want it because everyone doesn't have one and the brass is easy to get and does not have to be formed like the 450 Alaskan.  One way or another I am going to get to Africa in the next few years and I'll take all the power I can get as I plan on using this for Cape Buff.  Thanks for the info guys.
Garth

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh,  I'm not disagreeing on the idea totally; I like the idea of something different and the brass is easy to get; just not sure if it would really be a benefit in the extra light weight gun; I have one and had an original before and with the heaviest loads it's a bit much; ah,  what the heck, go for it, and maybe I'll join you!  good luck! cable

·
Registered
83 Posts
Since I already own a 450 and form cases( easily) , I going to push for the Alaskan. The overall length is critical for all these lever guns. I've been shooting 300 grain Noslers at 2594( muzzle velocity) for game and haven't recovered one in three elk, all good bulls. CH4D has two neck expanders to make fireforming easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts