Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I beleive you can get more 'oomph' out the 45/70 with the right loads than you will need or WANT in that light gun; look at the loads using H4198 in the hodgson manual, listed for the new 86 and the new marlins; I have fired loads almost warm thru an extra-lght weight winchester and it is iumpressive!! my 11 year old didn't want to watch it lift me and the gun off the sand bags anymore! You certainly can rechamber it to the 45/90 and you could do this yourself with the rental of the reamer but any real gunsmith should be able to do this for you. you may need to modify the loading gate area slightlyand  you can check whether it will feed thru the action by making a dummy round with a 45/70 case with the bullet seated out to the 45/90 overall length; if not it should be a relative simple modification too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yes, you make the point better than I did; anyone who shoots these loads in a light weight gun [like the extra light weight 86, or the marlin 95 centenniel model, will not wish for more! and I too have found many of these to be very accurate...unless one is going to use blackpowder there's little to be gained [beyond expense and aggravation !] by going to the 45/90; I have an old 86 in 45/90 that I play with with black powder equivalent loads mostly...love the 45/70 and use it for about all my hunting including moose and caribou.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh,  I'm not disagreeing on the idea totally; I like the idea of something different and the brass is easy to get; just not sure if it would really be a benefit in the extra light weight gun; I have one and had an original before and with the heaviest loads it's a bit much; ah,  what the heck, go for it, and maybe I'll join you!  good luck! cable

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.