Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many, I have a S&W 625. I need a little more performance out of it. Like a 250 grain bullet at around 1000 fps. Many people I've talked to claim it's easily possible for the 625 but don't give out any load data. Any suggestions? I'm already shooting 250s in the mid 800s, this doesn't seem to be much of a stretch. Or should I just trade it off? I don't really need a magnum, I already have the usual 41s & 44 magnums. I just want an intermediate cartridge.
----------------------------------------------------------------> Bob

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I've got one 625 and it's  45 Colt, so launching 250 grainers at 1,000 or so is not a problem.
I also have several 25s in 45 Colt.
But the pride of Smith & Wesson, the model 25-2, is one finely accurate pistols ever made, with 45 auto or 45 auto rim shooting 200 or 225 grain SWCs and 4.5 grains of bullseye or 231, or 6.5 grains of Unique.
Maj. George Nonte wrote extensively on this revolver and the all the potential power levels for it. He even had a wonderful full wadcutter weighing 250 grains that was pure poison at all velocities. I have one of the molds that I found at a gun show.
Take a look at the 'DOTS' RED, BLUE.
Jim

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Bob,

Look in LoadSwap.com!   There's a load posted there for the .45ACP that should be in the range of what you are looking for!  A Beartooth 255g WFNPB at near 900 fps with AA #5.   Out of your revolver it might just get close to your goal, without punishing the gun!

Hope it helps!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bob,

I use Elmer Keith's load for the 45 Auto Rim which is a 255 grain SWC ahead of 7.5 grains of Unique.  This should get you close to the performance you are looking to achieve.

Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts