Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Very interesting and will help answer a lot of questions that keep coming up about fire lapping....particularly "why do it"/"is it worth it".

I've apparently been a little naive in assuming fire lapping is typically done on 'newish' firearms and was interested in the use of some 'been around the block' .45's.

Dan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,122 Posts
Great test methodology.... very eye opening!

I really wanted one of those Ruger 1911s before... now I want one even worse! :D

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
Like making good hand loads, making all lapping loads the same is important. Wonder how to get consistant about that.

Should one weigh and sort lapping bullets both before and after to cull for the best ones?

Purdy good test and information, and I like the way that you wrote it up Marshall.

Off topic;
I have been thinking about that Ruger every since it came out. I have no center-fire auto-loaders here. Will look a bit harder for a deal on one! Real happy with what revolvers do for me though.

Very good article Marshall. I think the technique of fire-lapping might be able to be refined to an even higher level than you already have. It won't be me that does it. Very likely someone on this board though!

Good stuff.

Cheezywan

·
Super Moderator
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheezy,

Regarding the lapping, in the article I merely wanted to test and see what effect across the board would be realized from equal treatment to all four guns in terms of lapping, and the results gained. I didn't lap those barrels to their individual needs, and I'm going to put another 25 or more lapping loads through the Lone Wolf barrel for the Glock 30, and I'm pretty sure that it will shoot like a champ.

Too, the Taurus PT 1911 AR might benefit from a little more lapping action as well, but with that gun I think the greatest gain in cast bullet accuracy will be from tuning a load with .453" diameter bullets.

The Ruger SR1911 is the real jewel here, it has all the right features, none that don't add to function, and the gun retains the graceful lines of the 1911 without undue gadgets. It is a superbly fitted gun, and has a fabulous trigger, especially now that it has a few hundred rounds put down-range. It's a bargain at the price point they're selling for these days! Oh, by the way, so far it has had exactly ZERO FTF, FTE malfunctions of ANY kind... pretty remarkable right out of the box. Kudos to Ruger on this one!

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
You are a cool man Marshall! Is nice to read you back on the forum again.

Ruger seems to do all things right "mostly".

I am tempted to buy one of their 1911's. No real need though. Just want one.

Sure is good to see you on you on the forum.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Marshall,
thanks for the article on 45s very interesting. I purchased a kit from you last year to firelap my Marlin1894 44mag and my 444S. the process went very well and the fact that there is no leading in either gun even when pushing both BtB and MBW hard cast bullets at over 2200 fps is amazing.

In your technical guide you make the comment that Ruger stainless barrels are very hard and it takes a lot of bullets to properly lap them. Did you notice the same with the SR1911?

thanks again, Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts