Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What design/style bullet would you shoot a deer with? I'm sure the .45 has plenty on it at 15 yards right through the boiler room which is about all I'd use it for on a smaller deer or if I can't get the rifle around.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
A hard cast will work great. Why only 15 yards and only on small Deer? I've taken Deer with the 45 ACP and at 50 yards it kills thme as dead as anything else

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A hard cast will work great. Why only 15 yards and only on small Deer? I've taken Deer with the 45 ACP and at 50 yards it kills thme as dead as anything else
I'd carry it for protection...dogs/coyotes/undesirable people, and the occasional shot where I can't get the rifle around which I seem to be up to my neck in this year (IE to the hard left since I'm right handed, behind or below the stand, ect).

If I was gonna hunt with a handgun I'd just use the .500. :D

The neighbor casts .45 bullets, I'm sure he won't mind letting me have some.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've use Zero brand JHP 230gr bullets to take a few deer. The always seem to pass through if you hit no heavy bone. I've recovered only one bullet that entered the rib cage and stopped in the gut on the far side. It was a perfect example of a mushroomed bullet. I plan on switching to cast bullets when I run out of the jacketed HPs.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,660 Posts
It is no trouble to load a 255gr. SWC in a .45. Use data from the Speer manual for their 260gr. bullet, but work up cautiously as different cast bullets will take up different amounts of powder space depending on the nose length, etc.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Cast bullets are great on deer, but I found a clad flat tip bullet worked well, too. IMO, just stay away from HP ammo or FMJ for hunting. 15 yards from my ladder stand was my only .45acp deer. I was 12' up and he was butt-towards-me when I fired. Broke his spine and blew a lung. Bullet did not go further than the cavity. Deer dropped instantly. I only used the pistol because I had just gotten up into the stand and had not yet pulled up my rifle. I admit that luck was with me and that I did hesitate for just a moment. I would not hesitate again, but would hope that "luck was with me."

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a fan of jacked flat nose bullets as well. If I can find some of them I'll give 'em a shot as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A friend shot 3 deer with .44 and .45LC heavy swc loads. None stopped short of 200 yds. He was very unimpressed. He switched to 180 gr jhp's. he shoots sub 100 lb Ark deer, btw. I'd been telling him for years that the big, slow heavy stuff was low grade, but he had to find out for himself. Yes, if you poke a 1/2 " hole thru both lungs, he will fall eventually. The issue is, will that be close enough for you to find him, before night falls? For an SD load for use against men, they are a big mistake.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,660 Posts
Then I would say he just can't shoot.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
A friend shot 3 deer with .44 and .45LC heavy swc loads. None stopped short of 200 yds. He was very unimpressed. He switched to 180 gr jhp's. he shoots sub 100 lb Ark deer, btw. I'd been telling him for years that the big, slow heavy stuff was low grade, but he had to find out for himself. Yes, if you poke a 1/2 " hole thru both lungs, he will fall eventually. The issue is, will that be close enough for you to find him, before night falls? For an SD load for use against men, they are a big mistake.

They always worked for me..

·
Registered
350 Posts
A friend shot 3 deer with .44 and .45LC heavy swc loads. None stopped short of 200 yds.
I agree... either he cannot shoot or he's fabricating his tale to you. SWC bullets cause havoc and terrible destruction, usually, and especially in the big bores, in my experience.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've killed several deer with the 45acp...I used 230 grain Hornady XTP's and 230 Grain Remington Golden Sabres. Almost all shots gave complete penetration...only one bullet was recovered, a 230 Golden Sabre (pic below), it came apart after I found it.

Longest range was 40 yards...none of the deer made it out of sight before falling over.

I see no reason the right cast bullet couldn't do the same...

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have only shot 1 deer with my .45 ACP.It's an EAA Witness and I was shooting a handloaded Barnes XPB bullet.I was highly impressed,great penetration and devastating results.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use Sierra 185gr Jhp runnig just shy of 975 fps. Never had any problems but the shots were all around 15-20 yds. Nothing ran out of sight.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
For those that have .45's that are ramped properly, our .452"-255gWFNPB bullet is an amazing game harvester in a .45ACP. I load it with WLPP and 7.0g AA#5 with the COL Somewhat shorter than with other bullets simply so that the bearing surface of the forward driving band just clears the lands in the throat of the chamber. These bullets, with their huge frontal area redefine the game harvesting potential of the .45ACP!

These bullets have a meplat diameter of .360", and with the above load in a standard Govt configuration 1911 will get about 950 fps. This puts the ACP into the same tier as the old .45 Colt factory loads, albeit with the advantage of a well designed, wide meplat bullet for optimal game performance.

Merry Christmas, and God bless.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
That is great infomation Marshal, Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts