Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired an old (but in like new condition) set of 45 ACP shotshell reloading dies, made by RCBS. Does anyone have any information on these, such as load data, and what materials to use? What's best to use to cover the shot, and what brass do I use, etc.
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
71 Posts
.45 ACP Shot Shell

Look up my article on these which appeared in American Rifleman, April 1976 p. 20. The general loading procedure is:

Form cases from 7.62 NATO or .308 Win. brass.

Charge with 6.2 grs. W-W231 or 4.5 grs. of 700-X

Insert Remington SP410 shot cup as used in 2-1/2" skeet loads, seat firmly against powder, positioning with 3/8 dowell and a few light raps with plastic hammer.

Trim wad fingers flush with case mouth using a sharp knife.

Use Lee #069 dipper to measure 110 grains of No. 9, 8 or 7-1/2 shot.

Slide 1/2 veterinary gelatin capsule open end down over shot, twist and push until worked down snug against the shot.

Alternately you can use a card wad cut with a 3/8 punch or a .35 cal. gasheck over the shot.

Vietnam era special ops, earlier versions of these for jungle survival loads had a crimped a single 00 or 000 buckshot in the end to have a more rugged and waterproofed cartridge assembly which had close range anti-personnel potential, as well as utility for small game. The late Harry Archer told me that when he was in RVN with MACV that he was provided such rounds in plain brown wrapper which were attributed to the CIA and that they functioned in the M1911 pistol and the M3 greasegun. When I worked at the NRA in Washington in the late 1970s I saw samples of these rounds in the FBI laboratory forensic reference collection which were apparent handloads in Sako and Norma cases in varnished brown paperboard boxes with a mimeographed label in French one one side and English on the other. I forget the exact wording, but it was something similar to:

"20 Ctgs., Ball and Shot, Jungle Survival"
For Cal. .45 Pistol - Not for Combat Use"

Adjust final crimp to a rounded shape which will feed.

The CCI-Speer .45 Shot Loads are a commercial versionof this load, but do not use the plastic shot cup, and don't pattern as tightly.

The original handloaded versions would place over 70 percent of the pattern into a 15 inch circle at 25 feet, with an average of 10 shot in a 5 inch diameter circle at that range, individual pellet energy of 2.4 ft.lbs. and a pellet count of 125 No. 9 shot, which would reliably kill snakes, birds and monkeys at jungle ranges and would do as well for rabbits, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
SHOTSHELLS . 45ACP

zthang-- I have this set up, and any and all info you would need. Do you have the forming die also?? Good Luck!:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
See if you can locate a copy of George Nonte's hardback book HANDLOADING.
It describes the very thing you wanted to know in detail.It also tells you how to use other methods for other calbers shotshells.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Skook,

Ever had any Headcheese or how about an armroast?
Kidney pie, Liver & Onions, Neckbones & Pinto beans ?
Ladyfingers ?

What ever your pleasure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts