Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am eying a Taurus Tracker in 45 ACP at my local dealer, and wonder how hot the ACP can be loaded in a strong revolver. Any experience out there?

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
m141a -

Thanks for the info. Very interesting.I miked the cylinder walls on the taurus and they are .060 in., and I don't want to take that very hot.

The Ruger Blackhawk is .090, and is 6 vs 5 rounds, although single action. I ordered the blackhawk with 45 Colt and 45 ACP cylinders for $60 less than the Taurus, so now its testing time. Believe it or not, this is my first SA.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
You'll really like the Blackhawk. Here's mine:

and again;

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Loader
A few weeks back there was a thread about heavy bullets in a 45apc. might give you some load ideas. I shoot an old S/W 25-2 and used it for bowling pin matches with a 255g keith style bullet over 5.2 g of ww231. made a very good pin load and would probably work for whitetail in close. Hodgons list a load for a 260 g bullet in their data. I don't recall anything approaching 1000fps from a 45 apc. I assumed the advantage of the 45 apc in the Taurus or S/W would be the speed of loading with the moon clips (Jerry M 12 shots in 3 sec) When you state that you bought a single action I would assume that the 45apc cylinder will be used for plinking, practice and perhaps small game, since the 45 colt can be down loaded (cowboy loads) or run full house for about any type of hunting that would come to mind. I have shot a 155g cast over 6.0 g of ww231 thru my S/W for small game. The bullet however tends to tumble at distances over 50 yds and for that reason I think I would try the 180 to 200 g cast for the light loads. What are you planing on using the 45 apc cylinder for ???

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice group and a beautiful revolver. I trust the lever gun is also a 45 Colt. Mine, alas, is not SS as they only offer the cylinder combo in blued finish. If you have a pet accuracy load, please pass it on. I plan to start of with 255 gr LGCs, looking for 900 to 1100 fps with the Long Colt. 45 ACPs will be 230 gr HPs @ 900 fps.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jdt -

The ACP cylinder will be used for target and plinking work with factory ammo - many good deals out there. The Colt is a handloading project that includes the use of sabots to shoot .40 and .357 pistol bullets at higher velocity and lower recoil. Have already worked this out with a 454 Casull and its eye popping at the range. The Blackhawk is a much smaller and more agile gun, of course, and will go on the trail with me. It also sports a 1 in 16 inch twist rate, far better than the Casull's 1 in 24, which needs velocity with heavy bullets, and RECOIL!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Loader
Do you get the same accuracy with the higher velocity sabots? The only one I have first hand experence with is the 50 cal/45xtp blackpowder version. I hunt with a 454 and just got my new 500 Linebaugh this weekend, but had never considered a sabot round out of either gun.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jdt -

Yes, accuracy with the sabots is the same as with full diameter bullets and possibly higher (if you are near or past your recoil tolerance).

It does add another variable to the hand loading process, affecting seating depth, case capacity and crimpimg tension. If your velocities vary a lot, accuracy falls off, just as with a conventional bullet. Be sure that the sabot petals extend well out of the case mouth and into the chamber throat with a good fit.

You must use a chronograph, as there is no other way to estimate velocity or pressure consistency. You will be moving to powders that are faster than those in your manual for your gun, so be very cautious.

Also wear eye protection, and don't shoot next to someone at a range. When you get up to hot loads, some plastic particles erode from the sabot base as it passes over the cylinder gap and are ejected with the gasses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts