Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious...

I also shoot .45 ACP in a Sig P220. I know that this is primarily a hunting forum but I'm surprised that there is so little discussion or apparent interest in 45 ACP loads or pistols. Even the Beartooth product offering in this caliber is scant. Is that because there is only one LBT mold?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I shoot .45 in a G21 and a Kimber.  You're right, this is mainly a hunting forum, and not too many folks consider the 45 to be a big-game round at anything past rock-throwing distance.  In my case, my Kimber gets used to punch nice holes in target paper and other fun stuff with 200gr LSWCs.  My Glock is kept around for what Mas Ayoob calls "serious social purposes", is equipped with night sights and a sure-fire light, and is kept stoked with +P hollowpoints for protection against predators of the two-legged sort.  In any event, don't feel that big-bore selfloaders are an unwelcome topic; not many have brought them up.
Good shooting
Mark

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,221 Posts
I believe that BTB has a .45 auto pistol offering, a "Flat Nose Ball" bullet.  Can't recall the weight offhand.

Although this bullet has a flat nose, and a nice rounded ogive so it'll feed good, I found a better substitute (for my purposes).

My .45 autos (Ruger P90 and a Star Firestar) will feed, believe it or not, the 'garden variety' .45 cal 255gr. SWC.  Speer has load data for their 260gr. JHP so that's what I worked up with.  I just seated it as far out as the bullet can be without the shoulder hitting the lands and preventing it from chambering.

In my P90, with a little over 5 grains of 231, this will run just under 900 fps.  Hasn't made it into the field (yet) but I'll shoot something with it one of these days.  My preference for the 255gr. SWC is that the nose is a little wider than the FNB.  However, if it would not feed the SWC then the FNB would definitely be my first choice.

By the way my P90 will also feed the 260gr WFNGC but cycling the gun makes a heck of a dent on the nose of the bullet as it goes into the chamber.  All I've done is make dummy rounds so don't know how that would shoot.  It does make you seat the bullet fairly deep so probably not the best choice for a .45 ACP.  Personally I'd like to see a LFN or similar about that same weight, but I doubt if the market for that bullet would much.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Gentlemen!

You're right about our offerings on the .45 ACP bullets, they are scant.  The 225g FNB BB bullet shoots like a house afire, feeds through virtually anything and penetrates like no tomorrow.  However, it would be a better hunting bullet with a wider meplat.  I have personally loaded the .432"-255g WFNPB bullets using AA #5 and found an exceptional 965 fps load that will hit like a brick!  Feeds well in my modified 1911's.  Reports of good performance in Glocks and Sigs as well.

As for the slim offering, it's this way.  There are a lot of good, machine cast bullets out there in the &#360.03 range, that are a whole lot of bang for the buck in a .45 Auto!  These guys making those bullets are delivering bullets that perform superbly in the .45ACP and it's velocity/pressure thresholds.  I can't see us trying to reinvent the wheel when there is such a good selection of great bullets already out there for very modest prices.

Feel like making the .45 Auto a heavy hitter, then by all means see if your gun will feed a WFN profile, and if so, never look back.  If you're just punching paper, get the econo bullets and have fun!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Marshall.

Seeing if my Sig will feed the 255g WFNPB is a very interesting proposition! Was there a typo in there however? Did you mean .452" rather than .432"?

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Yep, it sure was a typo!  I did mean .452" indeed!  Sorry for that one!  I've had .44's on my mind and running out my ears lately!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts