Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
In the .45 ACP I have always had very good luck with Unique (old lots burn dirty, but I have not shot the newer "cleaner" burning Unique) but I like WW 231 the best. It's good for just about everything.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Yes, Unique and 231 have been good stuff for years, and in addition, I've become very fond of Accurate AA#5 as well.

Any of these three won't set you on the wrong path.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Banned
105 Posts
I too have been using Accurate #5 with good success in my .45 ACP. I also use it in a number of other pistol calibers, .38 Special and .44 Special just to name a couple.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
carbon
My vote with the 255gr is W231 also. and watch your seating depth with those as they can and do raise pressures dramatically!! Nice heavy load though -makes a good backup in the woods-light deer/pig load!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
I've used 231 with a plain-jane 255gr. SWC. Not all SWC designs are equal and you will have to mess with seating depths a little (maybe) to get it to feed. Data can be found in the Speer manul where they list a number of loads for their 260gr. jacketed bullet.

I get around 900fps in a Ruger P90, definitely a top load. Been meaning to shoot a pig with it but no luck so far.

·
Banned
584 Posts
Hodgdon HS6 is all I use anymore for .45 ACP's. It burns clean and it does a great job. I used to have problems in my Thompson after about 60 rounds with other powders but with HS6 I can shoot 300 rounds and not have any problems.

·
Banned
6 Posts
HS 6 seems consistant and accurate in my Colt. It also gets pretty good velocity with somewhat lower pressures than some others. I've loaded from 7.9 to 8.3 grains of HS 6 with 230 grain hardball Hornady bullets and I had no problems. You should be able to start around there. Hornaday lists the maximum load for 230 grain hardball at 8.7 grains of HS 6. I've had some luck with Power Pistol too but loaded them a little strong and I shouldn't go in to that here and wouldn't recommend that. I'd suggest that you get a decent dial caliper and crimp them gently. As mentioned earlier, 45 ACP doesn't require a lot of crimp. If memory serves me correctly the Colt Government 1911 is only supposed to take about 21,000 to 22,000 c.u.p. pressure. You can get there quickly if you're not careful. Loading 45 ACP is a lot touchier than say, .38 special or .357 magnum IMHO. I've also noticed that maximum velocity does'nt always mean maximum accuracy in my Colt. Maybe everybody already knows that, but I had to see for myself with Power Pistol. My Colt likes about 800 fps if your killing paper targets. On a good day (for me anyway) I can get seven holes in paper at 25 to 30 yards to touch one another with Power Pistol or HS 6 loaded to reach 800 fps if you load according to "the book". Have fun! Hope this helped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts