Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased 340 gr. LFN GC & 310 WLN GC .45 Caliber bullets from Beartooth. When loaded in new Starline .45 Colt cases, they will not completely enter either of my 2 .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk cylinders, however they fit comfortably in my Taurus Raging Bull .454. Thinking that I may have a die problem, I took loaded cases to Dillon Precision, the die manufacturer, for inspection. They could not find a problem with the loaded rounds. Has anyone else had this problem with Rugers? Could it be a problem with 2 different Ruger cylinders or could I be making a simple reloading error somehow?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,434 Posts
Current Blackhawk .45 Colt revolvers are known for having very tight chamber throats. On my Bisley they were 0.448"!!

Check with the "inside" measuring jaws on your caliper. Although this isn't the most precise method it will tell you if they are grossly undersized. If you have some soft lead bullets (like muzzleloading round balls) drive one of them through the chamber mouth and measure the slug.

I had to open them up or I experienced the same problem that you did. There are a number of gunsmiths offering this service, if no one here gives you any recommendations or contacts, then post over on the www.sixguns.com discussion forum and you'll get some names there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mike. I will try that. It surprised me, as I am able to easily load and fire other brands of bullets with no problems.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,434 Posts
It's the big fat nose of those 340s that is the problem. Most other bullets don't stick out into the throat that far. However, that's good in that the bullet isn't taking up so much powder space, and has a lot of bearing surface for accuracy (well, good if it will chamber!).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts