Shooters Forum banner

45 colt: 200gr JHP recipe for 185gr JHP

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  MR 8x57js 
#1 ·
This is for a Uberti Cattleman, 45 colt, 5.5" barrel.

Typically we shoot...

250 gr LRNFP .452" dia
Remington Large Pistol Primers
6.8 gr. universal

I got 100 free Hornady 185gr XTP/JHP .451" dia.

I want reload them to clean the lead out of the cylinder and barrel after shooting the lead rounds. I don't have a really big leading issue but I do get some in the beginning of the barrel and the cone inside the cylinder.

I have the following powders... bullseye, universal, and clays.

I would like to use universal but I can't find a reloading receipe for 185gr JHP, only 200gr.

I have read that Unique and universal have very similar burn rates and in most cases can be interchangable.

Heres the recipes that I have found... all starting loads out of a 7.5" bbl.

200gr JHP
8.5gr Unique
847 fps.

200gr JHP
8.0gr Universal
915 fps - 9,600 CUP

185gr JHP
7.5gr Unique
615 fps

Judging by this info, could I safely use 7.5gr of universal w/ a 185gr JHP? I would imagine that it would give me approx 750-800ish fps? and low pressure?

These rounds would only be to shoot a few to clean after a session of shooting.

Thanks,

MIke.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Yes, you could do that. Shooting jacketed bullets after lead doesn't really clean lead out well, though, and attempting to do it can actually cause high pressures if the lead quantity is great enough. The jacketed bullet will tend to push the thickest lead forward but often leaves a thinner burnished-in layer of lead behind it that is smooth enough to look like the lead is gone, but slugging the bore will detect a constriction and running a bronze brush in will raise its surface a little. Not good for lead accuracy.

Removing lead isn't that hard. Just get any kind of penetrating oil and wet the chambers and bore and let it sit overnight. You can also use Shooter's Choice lead removing formulation.

Get a copper scouring pad that is 100% copper and not copper washed steel. Chore Boy brand, for example. Use a magnet to check if in doubt about what you are purchasing? The magnet won't stick to pure copper. Wrap a strand of the copper pad around a bronze brush that is one caliber undersize for the gun until you can build it up to be a bit snug in the bore or chambers. With a few back and forth strokes it will scrape most of the lead out.

There are commercial versions of that kind of mechanical lead remover. The Lewis Lead Remover and the Hoppe's knock-off of it. They use an expandable rubber plug and a fine bronze screen to do the scraping.

There is now also a true lead solvent available. It is calle No-Lead and is made by Sharpshoot-R, the makers of Wipe Out for copper fouling. Midway carries it.

You can also use an electrolytic bore cleaner like the Outer's Foul-Out. It will be a little slow, though, as each chamber and the bore would have to be done separately. But the cleaning is complete, microscopically.

If you want to cut way down on leading building up in the first place, firelap the bore and chambers.

Your 7.5 grain load of Unique will work with the 185 JHP, by the way, but I expect the velocity will be in the 900+ fps range. If you just want to try to scrape lead out with a bullet (still not a great approach) try about 5 grains of Bullseye, instead, to slow it down a little.

#4 ·
I favor the Lewis lead remover kit method previously mentioned along with a lead remover solvent. In the past, I've even used the end of a straightened section of a large paper clip to scrape the lead out from the firing chambers of my .45 Colt clone. IME, paper clip material tends to be softer than gun steel yet harder than bullet lead. I only clean this way when I have no other choice because the end of a paper clip will only scrape off lead if sharp and needless to say, it's very time consuming. I used to keep a small sharpening stone handy to resharpen the end of the paper clip when it got dull. This works but the Lewis lead remover is much easier to use.

#5 ·
Well your 45 185 gr JHP doesnt have a crimping grove because it was designed to be taper crimped and used in a semi auto, and not rolled crimped like the 45 Colt bullets ,which have the crimping groove. By doing this could cause damage to your brass. A word to the wise !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.