Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of this load for bear with a 4", RUger Redhawk?

360 gr FN hardcast, 23.2 gr H-110.

Chroned 23.0 gr H-110 at 1155 fps, so figure this one for nearly 1200 fps.

I've shot my new Redhawk many times with tamer loads. FIred 3 rounds of this one off the bench and was amazed at the muzzle flip and the changed point of impact (much higher).

I think it will shoot better off hand, but I broke my sight and had to quit for the day.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I think you could kill anything on earth with that load.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Just dos centavos from an old dinosaur, it will work but you had better get him the first time. Any load that beats your gun and shooting hand to death won't be practiced with very much. My advice remains constant, the heaviest load that you can shoot well. Reduce the velocity a tad and see if its more controllable or follow the suggestion of txhunter77. The slower but heavier load should be a little more forgiving but will still plow a large deep hole in anything trying to eat you.

I am a bigger is better guy but when it gets too big it is almost useless.

·
Registered
821 Posts

I've shot my new Redhawk many times with tamer loads. FIred 3 rounds of this one off the bench and was amazed at the muzzle flip and the changed point of impact (much higher).

I think it will shoot better off hand, but I broke my sight and had to quit for the day.
I've shot 260gr. cast with 25gr h110 from the same platform and thought THEY were brutal in that gun. Besides we don't have any bears THAT big here in Washington.:D How did you break the sight??? You in the Vancouver area? Methinks I like the Bisley BH better..

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I would shoot that load...but only out of a Model '92, of recent vintage! :eek:

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've shot 260gr. cast with 25gr h110 from the same platform and thought THEY were brutal in that gun. Besides we don't have any bears THAT big here in Washington.:D How did you break the sight??? You in the Vancouver area? Methinks I like the Bisley BH better..

I'd never put 25 grains of H110 in!

I could certainly back my load off. I loaded it originally for a "bear encounter on the trail"...one shot desperation option. For actual hunting I can see that it's a bit overwhelming.

Wonder if I can pull bullets in my collet puller w/out ruining them?

BTW...The sight broke when I witlessly moved it too far...no relation to the load being used.

·
Registered
785 Posts
@ leverite: do you have any pressure data for that load or loads in that general range? It 'sounds like' it could be pushing the pressure. is it?

@ txhunter77: is that a load you've used in a .45? I'd like to hear more about it. Do you have pressure data for it?

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
I developed this load more or less just for the fun of it. Wanted to see if I could push the 405gr bullet fast enough to stabilize. I worked up the load using Quickload in my Blackhawk. Don't know how reliable it is but according to quickload the load was running a Pmax of 26kpsi.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Never mind , I thought this was about 45 Colt BEER !

Not sure how big of bears you have out there. But here in northen WI , 20 gr H110 behind a 250 xtp at around 1200 fps is what I use in my Ruger Bisley. It will go through 9 water jugs at 25 yards. It is comfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
935 Posts

Rough guess is the load sounds ok but it depends on how hard the bullet is and how invasive it is in the case. Certainly I would not touch it in a Blackhawk!

My Redhawk has a 5 1/2" bbl so I see more velocity and less muzzle rise. Personally I can't stand the standard grips wood on the Redhawk. Never fired the grips on a 4" Redhawk though. Pachmayr Presentation grips are a perfect fit for me though. Just depends on the person.

Up to you of course but I'd suggest a load that gives you more control if your are looking for the Redhawk as a life support tool. One way to get that is simply to slow your current bullet down. If the bullet is not too hard and you don't slow it down too much, you can take most of the bite out of it. You might need a higher front sight but a 360 gr bullet a 1000 fps is still a mighty load. Other guys know more about this than I do but I'd guess 2400, Blue Dot or AA9 would be about right for this. The other course is to drop your bullet weight to 300-325 gr and keep your velocities around 1100-1200 fps. You're probably still going to be in the working range of 2400, Blue Dot or AA9 again. Recoil and blast should be a lot less and the gun should shoot a lot closer to the sights.

Good luck. Heck of a nice gun by the way.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the Hogue grips, which work well. SHooting off the bench is not the most comfortable way for me to shoot any gun.

Used loadswap and interpolated, while reducing the charge to get to the 23.2 grains. Brian Pearce lists 26.5 gr H110 with 335gr hard cast at 50Ksi and 24.6gr for a 32Ksi load for a 328 gr bullet. Expect I'm somewhere in between those.

The cases were not difficult to eject, so pressure does not appear excessive for a Redhawk. But managing the muzzle flip is more important to me than peak velocity.

Don't have any 405's, but do have plenty of 360 grain bullets, H110 and 2400. Will either reduce the H110 or try 2400. Loads for these hefty bullets are hard to find.

Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I developed this load more or less just for the fun of it. Wanted to see if I could push the 405gr bullet fast enough to stabilize. I worked up the load using Quickload in my Blackhawk. Don't know how reliable it is but according to quickload the load was running a Pmax of 26kpsi.
so, did it stabilize OK? I'd expect it to from a handgun. I shoot a 405g 44 bullet from my redhawk. it stabilizes just fine from 907 to 1020 fps...

Regards

·
Registered
56 Posts
so, did it stabilize OK? I'd expect it to from a handgun. I shoot a 405g 44 bullet from my redhawk. it stabilizes just fine from 907 to 1020 fps...

Regards
They did indeed stabilize out of both my Blackhawk which has a 1-16" twist and my M92 Rossi with 1-30" twist barrel.

As a matter of fact, it turned out to be the most accurate load in the rifle.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,748 Posts
Have fun. Experimenting keeps it interesting, as long as it's safe.

Having said that..... 300gr. bullets at about 1,200 fps will go through both shoulders of a bison. Go with bigger chunks of lead if you like, but I don't think there is a whole lot of practical application in the field. Unless you have two charging bears and can get them both lined up.... ;)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Have fun. Experimenting keeps it interesting, as long as it's safe.

Having said that..... 300gr. bullets at about 1,200 fps will go through both shoulders of a bison. Go with bigger chunks of lead if you like, but I don't think there is a whole lot of practical application in the field. Unless you have two charging bears and can get them both lined up.... ;)

I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As they always said in Alaska, "If you go after brown bear with a handgun, be sure to remove the front sight! That way it doesn't hurt so bad when the bear stuffs it up your butt!"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts