Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have plenty of plinking brass for my Redhawk.  I'd like to start working up 1200 fps. or so loads using 250 gr.-300 gr. slugs.  Which brass manufacturer should I choose?  My reloading manuals tend to favor Winchester - posted loads (via reloading boards) favor Starline.  Does it matter?

I don't want to mix and match...I want to keep the components for my heavier loads consistent.  

Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Alan,

Ross Seyfried says that Starline is as good as the latest run Federal Brass (which is hard to find), and that Winchester is a step down as far as stickiness with maximum loads (in a 5 shot pistol).  I use Starline in my 5 Shot Clements Revolver with no problems (it does however have really tight chambers).  In a factory gun the choice is probably whatever you prefer or is most economical.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Alan,

For the load levels we've discussed I don't think there will be any marked difference. I'd opt for the cheapest, which will almost certainly be Winchester.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Alan,

My local source (Scheels) sell the Winchester for &#3615/100, but suspect you can get it cheaper -- but if you want to consider WW and Starline and then get the cheaper of the two, Starline does have a web site that you can use to order and I always get mine with in 4 days.  I believe Starline is &#3698/1000 which includes shipping and is a lot cheaper than my local source.

Regards,

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info gents.  

Yup - Starline is the least expensive even with mail order (and factory direct is the way to go).  Locally, I can purchase WW for &#3617/100 or Remington &#3615/00.  No volume discount.  I bought 100 pieces of WW (for Herc. 2400 loads only) and I'll order 500 Starline line (&#3611.60/100) for AA#9 and H-110 loads.  I've got a barrel full of Remington brass for plinking loads.

Question:  is it common for new brass to need trimming?  The WW cases all needed to be cleaned up a bit with the Lee case length gauge/cutter.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Contender -

The Berry's case cleaner-upper was ordered this morning.  I'd best go dirty up a bunch of brass to justify the purchase to the Mrs.  :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
My friends are amused by my somewhat haphazard inventory keeping of reloading stuff. I buy my brass in the 1000 case lots from who ever is cheapest. I use one box of 500 and put the other box away in one of the drawers in the loading room.
Many years ago I purchased two commercial display cabinets that have four drawers each. The drawers were designed for heavy items. They proved to be perfect for storing cases, bullets, loaded ammo and reloading gear.
Well I'll go looking for 44 Spec cases and come up with a box of 45 Colt brass, 45 Auto Rim, 45 Auto or a box of 357, in addition to my desired 44 Specials.
Well being a good reloader, I have to follow the basic tenents of that form of insanity and fill all those empty cases. Which means I need to cast a bucket full of bullets and size and lube them. Which sometimes means I need to order in more lube, or gas checks and to fill out the order I'll order some more cases.
Once filled I put the freshly loaded ammo away for future use in one of those drawers.  Well a couple of months later I'm heading to the range and go looking for that particular caliber. Can't find them so I make a mental note to get some more brass and get them reloaded so I'll have them the next time.
And the merry go round starts all over.
If there's a shortage of some of those cases I'm the one who caused it. I have the free worlds supply of 45 Auto Rim cases!
Any way I've not found a major difference between the two companies products, that I use....Winchester and Starline.
Jim

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Hey Jack
It's like having a chocolate cake there on the counter and nobody has made a cut in it. Or maybe the plate full of chocolate chip cookies. It's there and something has to be done with it.
Jim

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"It's like having a chocolate cake there on the counter and nobody has made a cut in it"

Jim - I'll need a different analogy to relate....just won't happen in my house  :biggrin:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use a lot of Winchester and Starline. I've used both for everything from fun 900 fps loads to the big kaboomers and while both brands will do the job I have to say I prefer the Starline brand.

The 2 main reasons I say this are:

- the primer pocket of the Starline seems to hold it's shape a little better.

- When shot out of a levergun the Starline brass shows a tad less stretching/bulging down by the case head. Overtime I suspect it will last longer but I'm not wearing either brand out too fast as I buy them in lots of 1000.

I don't have enough experience with Remington to comment other than to say that Ihate their nickel plated brass but thats another story.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts