Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marshall, just wondering if you have any 0.452" bullets in stock. I would like to try your 265 Keith or 285gc along with the 345gc. Are any of these ready to ship? If not when can I expect some? I tried a much lighter crimp on the mid-kansas bullets but groups were no better than with heavier crimp. I also used an impact bullet puller after seating and crimping to remove bullet for diameter measurement. No change was noted. Still do not know why I am getting poor accuracy with the 250 grain bullets (relative to what I am getting with your 340) except that as we have discussed the longer heavier bullets are generally more accurate. Maybe I am just expecting too much out of the lighter bullets. I just talked to John Linebaugh and he said that I would likely do better with your 265 Keith than with the various 250 rnfp type bullets. Thanks, Brian Carlson.

·
Banned
738 Posts
Brian, I read your post about accruacy problems with the RNFP bullets.  I too have had lousy luck with them.  I have tried them in two rifles, and two short guns.  All in .45 Colt.  The ammo ranged from reloads to all but Black Hills ammo.  Lousy groups from all.  So except for making noise I quit using them.  I get excellent accuracy with Keith semi wadcutters and decent accuracy with the better bb swc's.  I don't load the very heavy bullets like the 300 + ones, so I can't comment on those.
I may have missed your previous posts, but have you checked the cylinder throat dimentions?  This can have a big influence on accuracy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Brian try this: 6.0gr Bullseye with the250gr RNFP. Out of my Ruger Vaquero w 4 5/8" barrel I got groups of just uder 2" at 25 yds. With the 255gr swc and 8.5gr of Bullseye groups were about 1 1/4- 1 1/2" at 25 yds. These bullets were from Oregon Trail, or Lazer Cast as they are also called. All were sized at .452 and the throats on my gun measure .4505-.451 and the bore measures .451. Hope this helps!

God Bless

Chris

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
To Brian and all others!

Thanks for your support and your kind words!  I'm sorry for the inability to pump out thousands of bullets per day!  We've had such awesome response from you folks that I'm swamped!   What most folks don't understand is that I'm only able to put out 1200-1500 bullets a day on a normal 9-10 hour day and perhaps 2000 bullets on a really good 12 hour day when everything goes right!

Brian, I know the frustration of not having bullets in stock for our customers.   Right now, every bullet I make is spoken for before it ever drops from the mould!  I try to make over-runs of everything when I make them, but there seems to be a demand already in line for everything, before it's made.

Occasionally I'll have some bullets on the shelf in some of the rifle calibers, especially some of the less popular ones, but never any handgun bullets!

It is a great thing to have an abundance of work, and even better to have customers who are patient enough for me to make their bullets!

Thanks to one and all!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marshall, I just saw your post of today regarding the problem you have had with the bullet lube and cold temperatures. Thanks for the candid info and thank you for the integrity you have shown in dealing with it. We all want you to prosper (as well as keep shipping out those fantastic bullets). Looking forward to trying the 0.452" 265 or 285 and 345 grain bullets, Brian.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Brian,

Thanks so much for the encouraging words!  It has been very frustratiing so say the least!  I know that the Lord allows all things for a reason... I'm not quite sure what this one is, but I have been making landmark progress putting together the new loading manual in this time of waiting for lubes to arrive for testing.  So all has not been lost!

Thanks again, and I too am looking forward to getting some bullets out!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts