Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a similar post on Sixgunner requesting info on bullets over 300 grs. for the 45 colt.  Just what is it that the +300 grain bullet can do that the 300 grainer won't?
Would a 300 gr. WFN or LFN be the perfect choice for all shooting needs, from  900 fps plinker loads to 1300 fps hunting loads?  Being new, I want as few variables as possible to work with.  Variety will be better appreciated when I'm well into the learning curve reloading for and shooting my Redhawk.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Alan,

The 300 gr WFN may be the best all around choice for the 45 Colt. It'll hammer deer sized game and still give a great showing on bigger stuff. Heavier bullets will offer extra penatration on heavier game. The question is, are the black bears  in your neck of the woods wearing Kevlar? Do the deer have trauma plates in their Second Chance vests?

I can see using the extra heavy bullets on moose, brown bear, or HUGE elk but unless thats whats on the game list, I'll pass. Today with the advent of true heavy weights in the 45 and the widespread use of the 475, folks just think they need all that power for every shot. It just isn't so.

Of course I'm still using that under powered 44...

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Alan,

I'll strongly second MT's recommendations. A 300-grain .45 is plenty for virtually any North American game. If truth be told, a 250/260-grain WFN is as good or better for animals smaller than elk.

And MT, don't fret about that "pipsqueak" .44, I'm still working with that "sorry sister" .357!
:wink:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bill and MT - thanks for the feedback.  Sage advice as usual.

Regarding 300 gr. bullets, which is the better profile to use for my Redhawk - the WFN or the WLN?

Bill - the dies and the literature arrived yesterday afternoon.  Many thanks!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Alan,

The WLN offers the most amount of lead outside the case, this is to offer more room for powder. This would allow you to hit the gas and make those 300 grainers scream. Do you need or want that? Probably not. The WFN would be your best choice.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Do you need or want that?"

I don't think so MT.  From all the reading I've done regarding 300 gr. 45 slugs, 1200 fps seems to be the magical number regarding penetration and wound channels while maintaining shooter comfort.

For deer, the 300 WFN is over-kill but every grain would be welcomed if/when drawing a bead on a Roosevelt Bull.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Alan,

You pose an interesting question on which style is best.
I'd be inclined to go with the WFN for added close-range wallop. For deer you could load down some compared to your bear defense ammo. If you were planning on using the Redhawk as a primary hunting arm, where you may want to take shots to 100 yards or so, the WLN might be better due to its somewhat better retained energy.

For me I'd opt for the WFN. I'm pretty good with an iron-sighted pistol to 50-75 yards or so, but beyond that I would personally pass on almost any shot.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Bill -

Game shots will only be taken at close range - 50 yards or under.  I'm a patient still hunter and spot/stalk hunter thanks to my hunting back ground with the longbow.  I am looking forward to developing loads for the Redhawk - once Ruger finishes de-Alanizing it of course  :biggrin:  

·
Registered
362 Posts
OK MT - you say 300 gr is good unless big Elk,Moose or Bears are around.  In my case, they are.  So what weight bullet should I be loading up in my 4 5/8" Blackhawk .45?

·
Registered
194 Posts
'CUB,

Mine opinion would be go with the 340 gr LFN GC and load 'em as warm as you can. I haven't done any experimenting with the HEAVY 45 Colt personally. I haven't got any critters around big enough to use them on so this is just armchair theory based on all the facts I've been able to gather. The LFN design will offer better penetration than the WFN in extreme situations and the 40 extra grains of bullet weight can't hurt. If hunting the largest of our North American game, make sure you don't make them mad. Notice I said hunting.

If your looking for a general purpose woods knockin' load that you may need to call into service for big nasties, then I'd look at it a little differently. I'd pick one that will tag a deer if one comes along, knock a squirrel off its branch if the mood strikes, as well as serve as your rolled up newspaper if some grumpy bruin or cranky cow moose feels like ruining your day in the great outdoors. Those fire breathing 340's are not going to be easy to shoot out of a shorty Blackhawk. That 300 grainer at 1200 fps will be alot more agreeable. 1000 fps is better still. I always pick the load I know I can hit with. The 300 may not be the heaviest bullet and somebodys always trying for more velocity, but can you call your shot? If you've got to draw and shoot when it counts, will your bullet find its mark?

All this rambling comes from my view of the power trip everyone is on now. The 475 is being considered a mainstream hunting tool when, at its introduction, most folks thought you'd have to be crazy to shoot one. Everybodys pushing for more. I know that the under powered 44 magnum with plain old 250 grain Keith bullets have claimed just about every beast that roams the planet and could take moose, elk, and bear. The point is that you should load and shoot whatever lets you feel the most comfortable. If big power is the security blanket you need, its yours. Just make sure you can hit the target.

Hope this points you in the right direction

·
Registered
7 Posts
Allen, a 250 - 300 grain Keith or LFN pretty much gives you everything that can be obtained from the 45 LC or 454 Casull, at least for the game I have hunted.

The 250-grainer is fine for whitetails, which is the biggest thing this Pennsylvanian has ever shot, though I shoot a lot of 300-grainers, as well.  People tell me that the longer bearing surface of the 300-grainers helps accuracy, but for most reasonable loads, I can never shoot up to the accuracy of the gun with a 250-grainer, and the 250-grainer kick less and can be stabilized at lower velocities.

FWIW, my 7.5" FA 454 Casull won't fully stabilize a 300 or 300+ WFN at less than about 1300 fps (at least to the degree required for 100 yard shots) but that is just a single data point.  It <b>WILL</b>, however stabilize 300 grain Keith and 300-grain LFN right down to 1000 fps.

As your goals are (1) .45 caliber, (2) miminum number of components, (3) 900-1300 fps. it seems to me that a good starting place would be a 250-300 grain Keith or LFN.  The 250-grainer will do for almost everything, and it will work over a wide variety of velocities.

The Lord knows I'm not an expert, but I think you're looking for solutions that don't require the skills of an expert.  These bullets work for me.

God bless,
Ken Rice
Coopersburg, PA

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
I haven't had stabilization as a complaint factor on the .45-300g WFN's as of yet, but I would check your gun's appetite for the lower velocity loads before loading up on bullets.

I would have to concur with most here that a 300g WFN would be ample for all the applications that you are describing.   Too, consider that since most of your shooting, if not all will be under 1300 fps (by your description), you might just consider a .452"-300g WFNPB bullet.   The plain base bullet will do admirably for your velocity threshold, and be slightly more cost effective than the gas check version.  It will certainly do an elk, and do it spectacularly at 1200 fps at your 50 yard max distances!  No second thoughts there!

Do try a couple different bullets to see what your gun likes... they are all different, and the likes of one revolver may give indigestion to another!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gents -

Thank you for the excellent info.  There is no other bulletin board that provides such detailed and specific instruction.  BTB's forum is an invaluable resource!

Marshall - are your 300 gr. WFN's available in PB?

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Yes they are available in PB.   The .45-300g WFNPB is a new bullet for us in the last two months!   It performs very very well!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent Marshall!  FYI - the 300g WFNPB offering is not listed on the bullet selection menu.  What is the 100 qty. price?

I hope to have my Redhawk back in 3 weeks.  At that time, I'll finish slugging the cylinders.  I'll have a local smith, if need be, remove the cylinder from the crane to avoid "complications" before I continue :biggrin:  According to my barrel slugs (used two to verify readings), the barrel groove measurement is .4505.  The one cylinder throat I did slug also measured .4505.  I'm a bit apprehensive about hand reaming the throats considering my batting average thus far!

Blessings,

Alan

·
Registered
194 Posts
Alan,

Pick up a copy of the Gun Digest Book of Firearms Disassembly for revolvers. The detail of this book is great with pictures to boot. This will help you take that Redhawk apart like a pro. You've got to take them apart from time to time so its best to do it the right way. No special tools required. With the right direction anybody can take these guns apart.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts