Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Jim, All of the commonly used 45 caliber jacketed revolver bullets are .452 (Hornady) or .451 (Nosler/Speer).  I don't have a Sierra manual so I am not sure about theirs, but guess they are .451 or .452 dia.  Not familiar with Jacketed bullets sizes .454 unless they are from a custom maker.  Jacketed bullets sized .458 are for the 45/70 Gov't, 458 Win Mag, 460 Wthby Mag, etc.  Jacketed bullets do not act the same way that cast bullets do, so you would run up pressures if your bore was say .450/.451 and you used a .454 Jacketed bullet and data for a .452 bullet.  Odessa

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The .454 jacketed hollow points, are made by Hornady. The box looks old, I picked them up at a gun show for 5.oo bucks.They are 250grain. Winchester told me that my 1997 Win92 has .452.5 bore or is it groove diameter?I wrote it down somewhere, I'll double check.      

Thanks

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,440 Posts
They're probably very old.  My guess is that at one time Hornady made them for the Colt SAA, which has very generous throat dimensions, and at one point, groove diameters reported to be larger than today's.

.425" should be the groove diameter of your Win.  If you just happen to have a box of these bullets lying around, it would probably do no harm to shoot them with standard-pressure (ie 14,000-16,000CUP) data.  I would steer clear of the high-pressure loads, though.  If in fact they were made for the older SAA's as I'm guessing, they probably would not hold up too well at the higher velocities, so standard-pressure loads might be the best match.

·
Registered
43 Posts
From what i understand, bores sized for .454 bullets was a common for 45 colt chambered firearms in the old days.  Now it's bores for .452 that's common to find for this cartridge [and i use .452 sized lead bullets in mine].  personally i would avoid .454 jacketed bullets in a modern barrel.  .454 softer lead [swaged] bullets should probably be ok with the right load but like i said i would avoid jacketed bullets of that diameter unless my bore slugged to at LEAST .452 but of course i'm not a gunsmith [who would probably have the best ideas about all this stuff].

1 - 5 of 5 Posts