Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought some copper plated bullets from Ranier, that specifically state on the packaging 45 Long Colt 250 grain.  What confuses me is that every other bullet I've ever loaded for this caliber has had a cannelure groove that I've set up my Pro-2000 to crimp into.  Should I just set my press up to taper crimp instead of roll crimping as I usually do?

Also would be interested in how closely I should be watching my case lengths when loading the 45 Colt.  I haven't used a trimmer for my other pistol loading in the past, i.e. 45 ACP, 9mm, 40 S&W, so I have no experience in this area.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
cooterMN,
     As you have found, not all bullets have a crimping groove. Those that do not are generally target type bullets and thus are intended for lighter loads which should not require a crimp. If you still feel the need to crimp, you can lightly crimp over the ogive. Seat so the parallel portion of the bullet is just below the case mouth. (Does that make sense? I hope I explained it OK)
      I have tried a box of the Ranier bullets in .44 and they shot quite well. I used a light load (about 750fps) and no crimp. Good luck!       IDShooter

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
There are in fact .45 Colt bullets which are designed to crimp over the ogive.  Very old factory loads are sometimes found like this.

I trim brass for straight-walled handgun cartridges (ie. 45 ACP, .357, .44 mag, and so on) just once, if it needs it, and rarely find the need to do this again.  Basically get them all the same length for more consistent crimps.  They should not stretch much if at all.

Check it once in a while.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts