Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to load some LBT style cast bullets in my Ruger Blackhawk. I am using RCBS dies and I have read that the WFN (wide flat nose) profile bullet requires modification to the bullet seating plug.  Is this same modification required with other profiles such as the WLN (wide long nose) or the  LFN (long flat nose).  I wouldn't be asking this question but I could not get the bullet specs (meplat diameter) to download from the Beartooth site.  Thanks, Gene

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
Gene,

Basically you want the seater plug to be flat.  If you have RCBS dies you should have two seater stems, one for round nose and one for semi-wadcutter.  

Take the semi-wadcutter stem and file off the ridge around the edge till it's flat.  Don't file in the middle.  Once you get the ridge off you're ready to go.  Will still work fine with SWC's and HP's, etc.

You can send it back to RCBS to be modified but doing it yourself takes but a few minutes and will be cheaper.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Gene,

I have never had a problem seating a WFN bullet in any of my handgun ammo with the RCBS dies. I have had problems in some of my rifles when I use a compressed charge of H-335 but other wise no problems. Try a few first before you grind anything, you might not need to!

God Bless

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gene..

Did you mike the cylinder-throats to make sure they're .452 ? If you can push a bullet thru them with your hand, then you're ok. I had this problem with my Blackhawk, that's why I brought it up. Good luck.......

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Mr. Hackworth,

You mentioned that you were looking for the details of the WFN's in the .45LC.

Here are the Stats on the .45LC-300gWFNGC

Bullet OAL                     .780"
Nose To Crimp Length   .400"
Meplat                           .360"

Hope this is the information you were looking for.  As for the seating punch, the recommendation of removing the lip on the RCBS SWC punch is a good one, all it takes is a file.   Also, RCBS, if you send them a couple of bullets will make a puch to fit... no charge!  Pretty hard to beat that kind of customer service!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 5 of 5 Posts