Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here's a question for you. I've got a .45 Uberti Regulator which is the same as the Cattleman. 7 1/2" barrel. I have heard that if you go into bear country (Grizzly) it is better to have hard cast bullets. Now I'm not anxious to go toe to toe with a grizzly with a .45 but just in case, has anyone tried using hard cast bullets in one of these? Do you recommend them in the first place for bear? I have a friend who can load them for me (given the limitations of the stress this gun will take) but what do you all think?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Your gun is rated to shoot a 255 grain hard cast SWC at around 950 fps at SAAMI staqndard pressure of 14k psi. It is inadequate for Brown Bears - Black Bears yes. Sure you could kill a Brown Bear with it but not a good choice. Pepper spray better choice.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Given the fact that ANY handgun is a p***-poor defense against an enraged grizzly, I will say that the .45 Colt is as good as any. In fact, if you are among the many who find that the recoil of a .40-something magnum increases the difficulty of hitting what you are aiming at, the .45 Colt may be a superior choice for you.

The very best, most effective bear defense lies between your ears. In bear country, know the rules of avoiding and dealing with bears, and follow them. If you'll do that, the odds are vanishingly slim you'll ever need a weapon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It amazes me that over the years people still have bear questions and I wonder how many have actually seen one outside of the zoo or circus. Avoid them.
Yep. Easily done......if you don't go into the woods at all. But I don't think this is your intent in asking, right? Yes, they are out there in many places, and you are wise to be prepared for an unfriendly encounter.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Black bear habit most of the lower 48 states, Grizzly, not very many, and they're not the big browns you'd find in Alaska. None the less, they would be a formidable foe to cross. That said, my opinion is that you're probably more apt to be attacked by an Al Quieda terrorist than a bear.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
My observation of many years backpacking and hunting in black bear territory is that the spots most frequented by people -- campgrounds and picnic areas -- are the spots where you are liable to run in to bears behaving badly. Wilderness encounters are rare, and usually consist of a fleeting glimpse of a bear making tracks away from you as fast as possible. This doesn't mean they are harmless, but it does mean that the need for a weapon is small, and can be made even smaller by the awareness and actions of a person who finds himself in close proximity.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I will have to disagree with Pisgah on the handgun is a p***poor choice for Griz I would not hesitate to take only my .460 S&W . That's just me, I am somewhat of a thrill seeker anyway..............

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bear vs .45 LC

I have the Uberti .45 LC in the 4 1/2" barrel; nice pistol. I shoot HC in it, and if I had no other choice would defend myself against a brown, but unless I was lucky I doubt my chances of surviving unscratched. I'm a big .44 mag fan, (Elmer & me), and I read an amusing artice once in regards to .44 mag vs griz, "Be sure and file off the front sight, that way it won't hurt so bad when the bear shoves it up your.... " Well, that was the idea of the article. Anyway, I agree with the try and stay out of their way first, pepper spray second, gun third, and pray last, (or probably during any of the above). I know I sleep better camping with my .44 mag next to me. Would I take my .45 LC? sure would. The .45 LC is sure better than my fist or pocket knife, and a 250 gr hard cast bullet is some serious business even at LC velocity. Could I hit a charging bear in the head with my pistol? Probably not until he'd latched onto my leg and I beat him in the head with it. However, if I were charged by a bear, and I had my .45 LC with me, you can bet I'd be trying my best to protect myself. In my mind I'm going out with a fight. IMHO beats laying on the ground, curled up in a ball hoping the bear's in a forgiving mood.
I was molested by a big black bear once due to my own stupidity. I had taken my sailboat to one of the lakes here in Oregon, but by the time I'd stepped the mast and gotten the boat ready for launch it was too dark to get down the boat ramp. Anyway, I resolved myself to spending the night in the parking lot sleeping inside the cabin of the boat. Eathing some chicken and having a beer I placed the plate of scraps on the top of slidding cabin door, slid the door shut and jumped into bed. I awoke around 2:00am with the sounds of people yelling. I jumped up .357 in hand. From the deck of my boat, which while on the trailer was a good 6' from the ground I saw a huge black bear trying to crawl up on deck. Campers nearby were yelling and beating pots and pans. I joined in yelling and slapping the mast on the boat scaring the bear away. Whew, I was so stupid as to leave chicken scraps on top of my cabin door. The last thing on my mind was bears. Would I have shot the bear if we'd been unable to discourage him from climbing into my boat??? Luckily I didn't have to find out.
Anyway, don't mean to ramble on here. Even having the .357 seemed better than nothing. I'd say yes to the .45 LC with HC bullets.
Shootmup

·
Registered
300 Posts
Totally unrelated but I think the best gun for grizzly at close range is a 50 SW with a short heavy barrel.

You hold it with one hand - with a solid grip and a whimpy arm directly in front of you.

You look down and aim at the ground Pull the trigger If you wake up the Grizzly did not eat you but you will have a headache.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I live in bear country.
Last encounter I had I was toting a 2 shot Bond derringer in .45 long colt and I felt well armed. But I would have preferred a more powerful gun with more rounds, say a .44 mag, LOL...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I think the O.P.'s question is reasonable. I heard somewhere "It's better to have a gun and not need one than to need a gun and not have one". I believe in being prepared. I have never seen a bear in the woods, brown or black, but I know there are some out there. Also Bigfoot resides in the Southern Oregon/Northern CA woods and I don't know how he would feel if I happened upon him by mistake. I carry my Ruger .44 Mag. SBH loaded with 265 gr. Ranchdog bullets over a hefty load of WC820, cuz there's more than bears in the woods now a days...

·
Registered
57 Posts
And BigFeet are really harmless. Much more docile than black bears, which aren't usually a problem themselves. Definitely the pot growers are your biggest worry if you play the odds.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Black bear habit most of the lower 48 states, Grizzly, not very many, and they're not the big browns you'd find in Alaska. None the less, they would be a formidable foe to cross. That said, my opinion is that you're probably more apt to be attacked by an Al Quieda terrorist than a bear.
you know... I agree, unless you are in Alaska or Yellowstone

·
Registered
480 Posts
I read a story about Teddy Roosevelt. He was hosting a hunting trip for some Russian royalty, in the Yellowstone area. One night, after setting up camp, an angry Grizzly came into camp. One of the guides pulled his .45 LC and killed the bear with one shot. Nothing was mentioned, but I bet they all had to clean their shorts that night.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well guys, I like my .45 LC. Yes I know, the velocity is not the fastest but it throws one h*** of a slug if only around 850 to 900 ft. per second. Against a Grizzly I prefer my 7mm Rem. Mag.. But I do believe that in close proximity with a Grizzly you'd get some pretty fair penetration with a hard cast bullet & yes, it would have a profound effect on Mr. Brown. With all that said, I'd do what I could to stay clear of him. I wouldn't push the issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will have to disagree with Pisgah on the handgun is a p***poor choice for Griz I would not hesitate to take only my .460 S&W . That's just me, I am somewhat of a thrill seeker anyway..............
It takes a thrill seeker to handle on of those.
I'd say the .460 would be plenty effective on grizz. I'm not sure there's anything else on this continent that justifies its existence--unless you plan to use it as an anti-materiel weapon. :D

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
in a close encounter with a big brown, I wanna be at least 400 yds away, and be armed with a Barrett .50.....

if I was within 30 feet, and didn't have anything but a .45 LC I would shoot the crap outta that bear while-after I pooped my drawers.... and it would be a hellova lot bettern not having anything....
having said that, the .45 LC has a poor ( and undeserved ) reputation of being an anemic, low power cartridge, mainly because it was, and IS STILL factory loaded a mile less than the modern guns and modern brass will take comfortably. with modern brass, in a modern sixgun, it can (and IS being) safely loaded well up around 30,000 cup..... and a 250gr hard cast bullet exiting a 4 1/2 inch bbl at 1400 ft seconds is not to be sneezed at..

these loads are right out of the Hogdon's manual :

FOR RUGERS AND FREEDOM ARMS/THOMPSON CENTER FIREARMS ONLY !

250 gr bullet @ 1400ftseconds = 1088 ft lbs muzzle energy.....

a factory .45 Lc load is about 400 ftlbs...

a factory 44 Rem Mag load is about 1190 ftlbs

buy a Ruger,.... load it up for bears....wander happily.....

P.S. you could get a .454 Casull, and shoot .45 Lc in it. and then load it with the .454 loads for bear..... they are up around 2000 ft lbs muzzle energy....

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="altrow"><td class="mini" align="center">250 GR. HDY XTP </td> <td class="mini" align="center">Hodgdon </td> <td class="mini" align="center">H4227 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">.452" </td> <td class="mini" align="center">1.600" </td> <td class="mini" align="center">20.0 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">1150 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">23,500 CUP </td> <td class="mini" align="center">24.6 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">1343 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">30,300 CUP </td> <td class="mini" align="center">
</td> <td class="mini" align="center">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="mini" align="center">250 GR. HDY XTP </td> <td class="mini" align="center">Hodgdon </td> <td class="mini" align="center">H110 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">.452" </td> <td class="mini" align="center">1.600" </td> <td class="mini" align="center">25.7 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">1398 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">27,000 CUP </td> <td class="mini" align="center">26.5 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">1455 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">29,800 CUP </td> <td class="mini" align="center">
</td> </tr> <tr class="altrow"> <td class="mini" align="center">250 GR. HDY XTP </td> <td class="mini" align="center">Hodgdon </td> <td class="mini" align="center">Lil'Gun </td> <td class="mini" align="center">.452" </td> <td class="mini" align="center">1.600" </td> <td class="mini" align="center">23.5 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">1331 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">25,800 CUP </td> <td class="mini" align="center">25.5 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">1410 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">29,800 CUP </td> <td class="mini" align="center">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="mini" align="center">250 GR. HDY XTP </td> <td class="mini" align="center">Hodgdon </td> <td class="mini" align="center">Longshot </td> <td class="mini" align="center">.452" </td> <td class="mini" align="center">1.600" </td> <td class="mini" align="center">12.0 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">1129 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">22,100 CUP </td> <td class="mini" align="center">13.4 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">1252 </td> <td class="mini" align="center">29,900 CUP </td></tr></tbody></table>

Reactions: utahtrapper

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have an Uberti Cattleman Cody in .45 LC with a 4 3/4" barrel. All the reloading data I've read says to keep pressures at 1400 CUP or below for Colt SAA and clones (except for Rugers). Even at these lower pressures, I would use my Uberti, if it was all I had for self defense. I lived most of my life in the central valley of California. My brother, a friend and I use to go gold pannig in the Mother Lode all the time, when we were in high school. One night we drove up to our favorite spot, after work. It was late when we got there, so we just threw our sleeping bags along the river bank. I always carried a 6.5 Jap carbine my dad brought back from the war. I put that carbine in my sleeping bag with me before going to sleep. I woke up the next morning and noticed a sow black bear with two cubs across the river, which was onky two to three feet deep. There is nothing meaner than a sow bear with cubs. I held on that carbine and watched them, until they went up the mountaim side. That carbine was a comfort, just as much as my Uberti would have been. Yhat was before the marijuana growers. Maybe a M-16 would be more in order with the growers. Mikld, we also have Big Foot down here in the southeast, believe it or not.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts