Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time post but I'm looking for some help. I have been reloading rifle rounds for about 5 years but a few friends of my have started to do the 45 Cowboy shooting and are wanting me to load rounds for them. I have not ideal where to start but to ask the experts what to do. They have been using factory rounds but it is getting expensive so they want to try something else. Does anyone have a site that you use or would you be willing to share how you do this. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Using 5.5 grains of Unique, you can shoot 255 grain lead bullets at about 750 FPS. This is ideal for CAS, and it's the load I use in a set of Colt SAA's when shooting Cowboy Matches. I use Oregon Trail Laser Cast bullets.

As far as loading...if you have already been loading rifle rounds, then, you know the basics of handloading. Loading pistol ammo isn't much different, except for a couple of things.

First, when you get a set of dies, get carbide dies, then, you can skip the step of having to lube cases. Unlike reloading rifle ammo, where, no matter what type of die you have, bottleneck cases must be lubed.

Secondly, unlike with rifle brass, you'll seldom have to trim pistol brass after resizing, especially if you are shootng mild loads. It doesn't seem to "grow" like rifle brass does.

Hope this info helps.

·
Banned
490 Posts
You might want to reconsider loading ammo for other people, for two reasons. First, if you are being paid for loading, it is a violation of federal law to manufacture ammunition for sale without a license. Second, you are assuming a great liability risk. If one of their guns comes apart or someone is injured, you can expect your name to be listed on the top of the first page of a lawsuit.

When friends ask me to load ammo for them, my response is to invite them to come over and learn how to do it themselves. I show them how to do it and have them read the procedure in a loading manual or two. They are welcome to use my equipment, but if any mistake is made while loading, it will be their mistake, not mine.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Reloading for your friends is totally up to you of course, personally I would have no problem with doing it for my FRIENDS. For CAS shooting I would use Trail Boss powder. Hodgden shows for 45 colt, 255gr. bullet 5.8gr. as max. I've shot some of these loads and believe me they are bunny f**t loads and quite accurate. Out of a four inch barrel over MY chrony they clocked between 700 and 750 fps. I went to a 6gr. load and everything pretty much the same, picked up a little fps, same accuracy, but did burn a little cleaner. Thats not to say it's a dirty powder, it's not. Presssure is around 12,000psi. It's a "fluffy" powder so it fills the big case well and meters well through a powder measure. I think it makes a perfect "plinking powder." Just my experience with it. Have fun....

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
You might want to reconsider loading ammo for other people, for two reasons. First, if you are being paid for loading, it is a violation of federal law to manufacture ammunition for sale without a license. Second, you are assuming a great liability risk. If one of their guns comes apart or someone is injured, you can expect your name to be listed on the top of the first page of a lawsuit.

When friends ask me to load ammo for them, my response is to invite them to come over and learn how to do it themselves. I show them how to do it and have them read the procedure in a loading manual or two. They are welcome to use my equipment, but if any mistake is made while loading, it will be their mistake, not mine.
I made the mistake of loading for a friend once and even though I didn't get sued, he was calling me everything but a white man until he found out his firing pin had broken. No fault of mine, but shortly thereafter we just quit talking to one another.

+1 to what Bobby said: Teach your friends to reload. If they enjoy shooting enough that cost is becoming a problem, they will love reloading their own and saving all that money.

Reactions: SOX

·
Banned
507 Posts
I have taught many to reload. I will not reload for friends or for profit. I do cast bullets for people I know, but make no load recommendations.

I am glad I didn't reload ammo for people I used to work with, one wanted his 44 Mag to be really hot, which is dangerous in itself. Another guy when out with his Colt Snake and a buddies reloads, one cartridge went bang, the next one went pop, the next one went bang and so did his barrel.

Jerry

·
Registered
788 Posts
First time post but I'm looking for some help. I have been reloading rifle rounds for about 5 years but a few friends of my have started to do the 45 Cowboy shooting and are wanting me to load rounds for them. I have not ideal where to start but to ask the experts what to do. They have been using factory rounds but it is getting expensive so they want to try something else. Does anyone have a site that you use or would you be willing to share how you do this. Thanks in advance for your help.
The real question is what kind of help are you looking for? Suggested bullet weights, powder, velocity?
I load for CAS and I use a 250 grain Round Flat Nose, at a muzzle velocity of 825 fps, using Red Dot.
I have tried the 200 grain bullets but they don't hit to the point of aim. There are other CAS shooters who are in the game who use really light bullets, down to 150 grain or so. You and your friends will have to decide what route you want to go with your .45s; really light and slow, or closer to authentic .45 loads.
As for me, I like to know that I am shooting a .45 when I am shooting one.
Once you have decided on bullet weights and velocities, then you have to see if your guns will hit to your point of aim. If not, you change your loads or your sights, or both.
I keep it simple and the 250 grain load above hits to the point of aim.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,660 Posts
Perhaps off topic, but does anyone use roundball load for cas in the 45 col?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ran into a guy once that was tossing a round in the air and catching it, I knew him, he worked part time as a prisoner transporter, anyway he looked at me and said "this is gonna be a great round, I think it was a 9MM not sure anymore. I asked him about the load and he said Bullseye, I akded how many grains and he just looked at me as if I was an idiot asking a stupid question like that, and he said simply that he filled the case,YEP! and seated the bullet on the powder, I told him he was holding a bomb and not to even think of firing it, ended up loaning him a few manuals and got him started on the right track. Heck I studied loading manuals for 6 months before I bought my first press,back then we were all on our own, and no-one else was doing it that I could learn from............stegmaier

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
The Speer #14 manual has a great section on Cowboy loads, and Hodgdon prints a free manual every year with a section that has several different cartridges at CAS velocities.

I've taught a few people how to reload, and I've reloaded for friends, but I'd rather have them come over and learn on my equipment. I've toyed with the idea of starting my own precision reloading business, just haven't gotten my ducks in a row yet.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Load Data has SASS loads but you have to join - I paid and it is worth it - That would be the most comprehensive source available. Otherwise, some powder manufacturer web sites have data like Alliant and IMR/Hodgdon.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I've toyed with the idea of starting my own precision reloading business, just haven't gotten my ducks in a row yet.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Besides local or state license required do to zone. On the Federal level there is a ammo manufactuers license. Its like $30 for three years.

Federal Firearms License types<TABLE cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=125>Type</TD><TD width=125>Usage</TD></TR><TR><TD width=125>Type 1</TD><TD width=900>Title 1 dealer or gunsmith other than destructive devices. Can also deal in Title II NFA firearms with class 3 tax stamp.</TD></TR><TR><TD width=125>Type 2</TD><TD width=900>Title 1 dealer doing business as a pawnbroker</TD></TR><TR><TD width=125>Type 3</TD><TD width=900>Licensed collector of Curio & Relic (C&R) firearms</TD></TR><TR><TD width=125>Type 6</TD><TD width=900>Licensed manufacturer of ammunition and reloading components other than Armor Piercing ammunition</TD></TR><TR><TD width=125>Type 7</TD><TD width=900>Title 1 manufacturer of firearms, who can also act as dealer, other than Destructive Devices, ammunition and ammunition components other than Armor Piercing ammunition. Can also manufacture & deal in Title II NFA firearms with class 2 tax stamp.</TD></TR><TR><TD width=125>Type 8</TD><TD width=900>Importer of Title 1 firearms and ammunition. Can also import Title II NFA firearms with class 1 tax stamp.</TD></TR><TR><TD width=125>Type 9</TD><TD width=900>Dealer in Title 1 firearms including NFA destructive devices, Requires payment as an SOT Class 1 (can act as an NFA Dealer) and registration with the US Dept. of State as a Broker under ITAR/D-TRADE. To deal/broker any DD with an explosives content (i.e. Flash-Bangs), requires an additional FFL; Dealer of High Explosives</TD></TR><TR><TD width=125>Type 10</TD><TD width=900>Manufacturer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and ammunition components, manufacturer of NFA Destructive Devices, ammunition for Destructive Devices and Armor Piercing ammunition (can act as a dealer). Requires payment as an SOT Class 2 (can act as an NFA Dealer) and registration with the US Dept. of State as a Manufacturer under ITAR/D-TRADE. To manufacture any DD with an explosives content (i.e. Flash-Bangs), requires an additional FFL; Type 20 Manufacturer of High Explosives.</TD></TR><TR><TD width=125>Type 11</TD><TD width=900>Importer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and NFA Destructive Devices, ammunition for Destructive Devices and Armor Piercing ammunition. Requires payment as an SOT Class 1 and registration with the US Dept. of State as a Broker under ITAR/D-TRADE. To import any DD with an explosives content (i.e. Flash-Bangs), requires an additional FFL; Importer of High Explosives.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/how-to/become-an-ffl.html

I believe you are legal to reload for someone without a license if they are part of the operation. IE. operate the press, buys compoments (gives you the brass) etc.

CD

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Well, can't even try to top Combat Driver's answer.

I have loaded stuff for long time friends in the past, never to make money.

I don't do it anymore.

I'd recommend you all pick up a single stage press from Lee, even the cheapie (but very handy and useful) Lee Reloader press would be fine for Cowboy ammo. Loaded with Trail Boss and extruded lead bullets from Hornady or Speer, you can all cut costs considerably, and nobody is looking at "liability" as an issue.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Perhaps off topic, but does anyone use roundball load for cas in the 45 col?
I haven't picked up the balls for the colt, but I have started loading up .45-70 round ball loads using 13.2 gr. unique. The minimum I can use with my 32" barrel is 10gr to get any performance. With the 13.2 gr loads, though, I can just ding the 100yard gong and my buddy's range consistently. In my gun, the shoot about 6" higher than my POI in sights and slightly to the left. Out to 50 yards, they are good enough for killin wood chucks though. I have to pick up some .451 round balls for the colt to test with, but with only a 5.5" barrel on my Ruger Blackhawk, I'm intending to start as low as possible - like 5 gr. unique and work up to one that is consistent without filler. Hoping to find a nice light load for my daughter to learn with. I have been finding excellent accuracy using 5-8 gr. unique under a 200gr. RNFP lead bullet by Dardas. They are very inexpensive and I might stick with those too. With the .45-70 though, I have had a lot of fun experimenting. 8)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts