Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, CC:
  The big problem is crimping. The .45 ACP is .387" shorter than the Colt, so it's unlikely you could crimp a ACP in a Colt die. Most crimping dies work when they're about 1 turn off the shellholder. Next, the ACP is taper crimped and the Colt is roll crimped. If you have a Colt die that is short enough, crimping will require cases that are trimmed to the same length and a precise die setup. Most ACP bullets don't have a cannelure (crimp groove) so you've got no room for error.

Although the Colt's outside diameter is larger than the ACP, most sizing dies overdo it anyhow. Some Colt dies have a .454" expander, which is too big for the ACP. Pre-War revolvers use the larger bullet.

Bye
Jack

(Edited by Jack Monteith at 7:16 pm on Jan. 17, 2002)

·
Registered
108 Posts
All the rimless autoloaders headspace on the casemouth. A roll crimp ruins this relationship.
I crimp my cast SWCs a bit out and headspace on the bullet in my bullseye gun -- this gives a nice tight headspace. Might not be appropriate in a defense gun.
Doing it my way should be tuned to the individual narrel, chamber tolerances might not let my ammo shoot properly in a different pistol.
Dan

·
Registered
252 Posts
As inexpensively as Lee will sell you a servicable .45 ACP die set, you might as well do it right rather than jury-rig with dies for a different caliber.
Mark

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've gone the other way, using 45 ACP dies for my 45 Colt.  It worked fine, in fact, the ACP sizes slightly smaller than the 45 COlt, thus lending more case tension to the bullet.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts