Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Vaquero, .45 Colt/.45 ACP.  My first time with a fixed sight center fire revolver.  It prints low and to the left so I need to tinker with my load before I have the barrel tweaked.  I'm using 6 grs, Bullseye and a 255 gr. cast bullet.  That works great in my Blackhawk but not so good in the Vaquero.  How much should I change the powder charge each time to try and move the point of impact and improve the groups?  .1 Gr.? .5 Gr?  I'm new at trying to work up a load since previously I've always found a good one from a published source and could adjust the sights as needed.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Low and Left is very common,

You are in the lower end of the load data, Speer shows Bulseye 250 gr lswc at 6.3 to 7.0, i couldn't find the data for 255 gr, most bulseye data is for lighter loads.

You can kick it up to 6.5 gr and see what that does, it should definately raise your poi, whether it moves it to the right is up for grabs.

After that I would go up in 0.1 or 0.2 gr increments, carefully watching pressure (although you can load the rugers fairly stout)

You might also considering changing powders, if you cannot get it perfect. For punching paper I have had good success with unique in the 45 vaquero

Let us Know how it turns out   JM

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Charlie,

Find a gunsmith that knows how to work on single-actions.  To fix the left-right, it is likely that you need to turn the barrel just a smidge.  Take him some targets so he can try to figure out how much to turn the barrel, and of course, what direction.

For the low... this is not so bad.  Find your most accurate load first, regardless of impact.  Then, if it's still shooting low, take it back to your gunsmith or v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y file down the front sight yourself to bring up the point of impact.  Check the point of impact after every file stroke!  It often takes very little, and it is hard to add metal back.

Obviously you can see the importance of deciding on the correct load BEFORE starting these modifications!  I'd check the other cylinder too, with a little luck you may find a good load for each that has the same point of impact.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
You'll find that the low impact of your fixed sighted Vaquero will only be exacerbated by increasing the velocity of your loads!  With a sixgun, you'll find that lower velocity loads will print higher on the target at 25-50 yards than their identical, but higher velocity counterparts!

Your load is already fairly mild, and indeed filing the front sight will bring the elevation into alignment, and in many cases changing the way you grip the gun will change the windage of the point of impact.  Many times with some adjustment on grip shape, you can bring the windage part of your sight adjustment into line.

You might consider going to a heavier bullet, a 275 to 300 grain bullet at similar velocities to your present load will cause the point of impact to rise, then, if too high an impact on target is encountered, simply juicing up the velocity a little will bring it where you want it to be!

Let us know what you come up with!  Hope this helps.

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts