Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished a pound of W231.  I settled on a charge of 8.0 grs. under a 255 gr. SWC.  It's accurate and fairly clean.  For plinking, should I stick with W231 or should I look at Bullseye, AA#2 and the other fast burning powders for target loads?  I prefers loads shooting at least 825 fps. (I'm getting 912 fps with 8.0 grs. of W231 ).

·
Registered
39 Posts
If it works and you like it why change anything?

I just hate trying to fix things that aren't broken. Anyway that was my &#36.02 worth.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"why change anything? "

Human nature I guess..just because something works good doesn't mean something else won't work mo' better  :smile:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Awwww Geeez Alan!

There ya go suggesting "yet another powder"

My "cheap" hobby is beginning to take on a life of it's own!

Actually, I have been workin my way through a box of cheap cast bullets in 300gr in both the 45 Colt and .454 Casull.

I am pretty well settled on Universal Clays for the colt loads and working with some mild Blue Dot loads for the .454

Seems that the .454 loads with H110 make my half mended collar bone shake loose (it feels like it anyways ;*)

Sounds like you are "up and runnin"

Godspeed!

Scotty

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,228 Posts
I've had good results with both Titegroup and AA#2 Imp.  Right now the majority of my loads are AA#2 as I got a big jug of it from gibrass.com as surplus at a good price.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback gents.

"My "cheap" hobby is beginning to take on a life of it's own! "

LOL Scotty!!  I hear ya...I figured that laying off from buying trad bows and sundry arrow building supplies would bank me a tidy some of money; I guess in a way it did...in the form of pistols and sundry reloading supplies   :biggrin:

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you want to try something new, I go along with MikeG and his recommendation for TiteGroup.  I have been real happy with this powder in my .45 Vaquero; 6.0gr under an Oregon Trail 250gr RNFP makes for economical shooting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Alan,
I agree with Husker on this.  I have had absolutly amazing results with Titegroup.  Both in my 45's and in my .475.
It seems to burn fairly clean and either I have gotten lucky or it is really easy to get better than average accuracy with, in both calibers.
In the 45 I have used it for 250, 275, 300, 305, 325, and 360 gr cast bullets all with good results.
God Bless

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also vote for Titegroup. I have been using this powder for my 454 Casull for light plinking loads and have been happy with it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Been using Titegroup for my plinking loads in the .44 and .480, been really happy with it.  Just tried Universal for light loads in the .454 and had stellar results with it.
So many good choices, so little time...
Good shooting
Mark

·
Registered
27 Posts
I vote for Titegroup too! It shot great in my .475, and it was unreal in my .500 SRHK! Will have to give it a try with my .480? Been using 2400 mostly, because I got a big old metal can full of the old original stuff. Mark, suggestions on a load for the .480? What bullets you been using? Thanks!

·
Registered
252 Posts
So far the only bullet I've loaded for my .480 has been the 370 Cast Performance LFN.  Waiting for some stuff from Beartooth and a mold from NEI, then I'll be able to do some serious comparisons.  9 to 9.5 grains TG has give me pretty good accuracy in my SRH, not as good as the H110 load, but still pretty good.  Hodgdon lists load data for Titegroup with all the bullet weights for the 480 on their web site, BTW.
Good Shooting
Mark

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mark,
I have a LBT 370 LFN mold, which drops out at 390 with WW, and have crimped it in the first grease groove, giving me a nose to crimp length of .5", and a lot more powder capacity. I've tried some heavier bullets, from a buddy's 400, 410 and 420 HOCH molds, as well as his 330 SWC and 345 LFN-like GC HOCH molds, but not sure if I really need to go that heavy, so as to not lose controllability for the bush up here. But because I now have this 4 cavity 310 LFN mold, and a big red tin can of the old 2400, it will have to be the combination I will try and work with, for everyday shooting. The 370 LFN will be used for more packing, or if I get a chance at a moose hunt. Hopefully I can try some of Marshall's new 355 GC bullets, this coming Wed, Thurs or Fri. I do have a little Titegroup left, so we will see! Plus the info from Dan, gives even more excuses, to go play with the .480. Now it seems my just aquired 5 1/2" stainless bisley BHK, will be collecting dust?

Which NEI mold did you order? At last weeks gun show, our local caster had a 335 grain bullets, from a NEI mold. It has a huge meplat! It is cataloged with a 400+ grain weight(forgot the exact number), but he ordered it minus a band and groove, for the .480. I notice NEI has new in my 2001 catalog, a 355 LFN GC bullet. But after sizing and lubing the bunch of HOCH 345 GC bullets I picked up, I think I'll stick to plain base bullets, although I now am stuck with several hundred .475 gas checks?

·
Registered
252 Posts
The mold I have on order is the .476-410, cut w/o the bevel base.  Basically an LFN type.  Should go around 420 grs or so with w/ws.  The 355 GC bullet would probably be the better all-around game bullet, but I seem to have developed a thing for big 'ol bullets at moderate velocities.  I figure that for maybe 1300 fps a gas check is fairly unnecessary.  The only "bad" thing about shooting my .480 is that it has whetted my appetite for even bigger stuff.  Now I am in search of a good deal on a Bisley to ship off to Dave Clement to get turned into a .500 Linebaugh.  Maybe Bill Ruger could chamber one in the Redhawk series in a 5-shot and save me the trouble (Hello!  Anybody in marketing at Sturm, Ruger & Co paying attention???).
Good shooting
Mark

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Titegroup looks to be the democratic plinking choice.  How about you Titegroupers post your favorite loads on Loadswap?  Will - in particular, I'd like your feedback regarding charges and performance for the 275 and 300 grain bullets.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Redhawk grip hurts my little hands! I drew blood from a 5 1/2" 45 Colt I had, with the factory wood grips. Pachmyers probably would have solved the problem, because a buddy just loves his. I did have a 500 Linebaugh built on a .44 SRHK, which was a whole lot better, for my hands. It does come straight back at you, as far as recoil, so if you load it way up there, you'll know it!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes Dennis I noticed that the 45 in the Redhawk would do a number on my hand also.  The hole in the grip panel for the screw insert was positioned just right so the pad of my middle finger would sit in it.  When I would touch it off it would really play havic on my finger.  I ended up taking some Oak sanding dust, mixing it with Elmers wood glue and filling in the hole.  Then sanding it smooth and touching it up with stain.  Being the insert side and not the screw head I could still pull the grip panels off.  That really made it so I could shoot it without drawing blood.

Hey Allen,
If you want to e-mail me I would gladly send my list of loads to you that I found to work very well in the Rugers.

God Bless,

·
Registered
252 Posts
I ended up junking the factory grips on my .44 Redhawk in a hurry.  Tried a set of Pachmayrs, didn't like them very well, ended up getting a 1-piece wood grip from Hogue.  Much better.  Didn't like getting my middle finger whacked every time I fired the thing.  Is there anybody out there doing 1-piece grips for the Bisley model, by any chance?  Found one Monday, it whacks my finger to some extent too. (I have big hands...)
Good shooting
Mark

·
Registered
27 Posts
Reason I switched from the RHK to the SRHK, was because the SRHK had more rubber, to cushion my small hand. That is why the 500 SRHK wasn't as bad as the 44 or 45 RHK. I guess just the size of my hand?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts