Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a 45 redhawk.I am trying to decide if I should get the Hunter instead. I would appreciate any input that would help me make up my mind. I own 45`s in Blackhawk and Anaconda. I am thinking that the heavy weight of the Redhawk would help with heavy bullets and heavy loads.Any thoughts on the subject?

·
Registered
827 Posts
The Redhawks have a longer cylinder, which may allow you to use heavier bullets without reducing case capacity as much as in the Blackhawk Hunter. There is not that much weight difference between the Hunter and the 7 1/2" Redhawk, according to Ruger's website.
Andy

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would take a look at the Bisley also. It has a reputation for taking some of the bite out of the harder hitting loads. I have Bisleys in 41 and 45, and both are much easier to shoot than my 6" DW 41 when using hot loads. Something about the grip shape. On the other hand, you can never have too many guns, so here's to trying them all if you can...

Good shooting,
Bill

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,330 Posts
It just depends on what fits your hand best. For me it's the Bisley, although the standard Redhawk is not bad. There is no hard & fast answer, only you can decide.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
T.A.P.
I have a Blackhawk hunter in .41 mag and I really like the revolver. The only catch is that if you want to use a scope for load development or hunting, the $70 rings that come with the revolver will be of little use unless you limit yourself to a very short scope with very small ocular and objective bells. Kind of an annoyance. I don't own a Redhawk, but I've shot them in .357, .41, and .44. I have an overall favorable impression of the revolver, with the exception of the trigger. The same can be said of Blackhawks of any type as they come out of the box. I prefer the Bisley grip frame to the Blackhawk, and the Blackhawk to the Redhawk, which is probably why I don't own one. The longer cylinder of the Redhawk, as Andy stated, will allow you to concoct more powerful handloads. If absolute maximum power is your concern, this may be a consideration to take into account. My .45 Colt Bisley accuracy was greatly enhanced with lead bullet loads by having the cylinder throats opened up to about .453. This was especially helpful when using hard, heavy bullets. It increased the accuracy and eliminated leading, it also did wonders for my light factory level loads. I don't know if this would be required with the Redhawk, but it should be taken into consideration if you intend to shoot lead in it. The problem with the Blackhawk/Bisley, typically, is that the cylinder throats are smaller than the barrel dimensions. I haven't heard that this has been corrected as yet, but it may have been. It's a inexpensive madification, some even do it themselves. I'd say it's up to what fits you best, I prefer the single action Rugers to the doubles, and vastly prefer the Bisley grip to the Redhawk. If you don't want/need more than 1300fps with a 300-330gr bullet, any of the Ruger .45's will fill the bill as far as power goes.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The best bang for the buck would be the SRH 454 Casull
7 1/2, now you have both worlds wrapped in one;) Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I agree with Rmouleart...

while the Redhawk is "strong like bull", the SRH is a simply a bigger, badder bull!

I've owned a 45 Redhawk, a 45 5.5" Bisley and own a SRH 454. In my hands, the 45 Redhawk was painful to shoot 300-325 gr. LBT's in the 1200-1300 fps range. The Bisley was more user friendly for reducing felt recoil. However, I do not particularly care for single actions (that statement could lead to my banishment! :D ) I shoot the SRH with high voltage 45 Colt ammo and it is far superior to either of the 45 Colt sixguns I owned prior to its purchase. Yes, it's big and ugly but it sure shines in the accuracy and recoil reduction departments.

·
Registered
227 Posts
.45 Redhawk

I have .45 Colt Revolvers in the 5.5" Redhawk, 5.5" Bisley and 5.5" Blackhawk. All work fine, but for hot loads I prefer the Redhawk with Pachmayr grips. The Bisley is ok, but the grip is a little small. Rubber grips are also available for the Blackhawk, and that makes it better for hot loads. If you want to scope it, you have a choice of Redhawk, Super Redhawk and Blackhawk Hunter, with Blackhawk and Bisley grips. The Redhawk has a slightly longer cylinder and just a little more weight. It really gets down to personal preference. See if you can try them and see what you like.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had a 7.5 in Redhawk in 45 Colt. Recoil with heavy-weight bullets and loads is rather memorable. I thought the doggone thing was kinda heavy until I fired it. The extra weight of a scope would have helped, I'm sure. After a few months of this, I finally understood how much more I like my .44 Super Redhawk. I traded the 45 for a .307 bigbore and never looked back. ==Bob

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the info fellas,I ordered a Bisley Hunter yesterday and I can`t seem to get away from those single actions and 44 caliber. Again, thanks a lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts