Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Speer manual lists roundball loads for .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt. I'd like to use my sbh for some minor pest control and these loads look like a possibility.  Has anyone used any of them?  How do you seat the ball, half in and half out or all the way inside the case mouth?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Charlie:

However you want.  The easiest way is using a fired case, decap/recap without sizing, then about 1 1/2-2 1/2 grs. of Bullseye, Red Dot, 231.  Push the round ball down until it stops on the taper of the case and you're done.  If you will be shooting more than a cylinderful at a time it would be a good idea to put a little lube in.  A liquid Alox like the Lee product could be dripped into the case after the ball is seated tightly, it should take only 2-3 drops to do the trick.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
George Nonte in his book on handloading spoke to this using single and multi-ball loads. He tinkered around using cast and swaged balls finding the right powder charge with the powder he had available.
Since Lee Liquid Alox had not been invented then he used a swipe of regular lube across the mouth of the case after seating the ball. I believe Nonte seated his ball just below the case mouth so he could put the lube in and do a crimp.
Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information, that should cover it.  I had forgetten that Nonte talked about round ball loads in his old book.  Its dusty but good.

Charlie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts