Shooters Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Banned
5,224 Posts
Well, here's my .02 worth, and I admit, I haven't looked at ballistics charts in the last 15 years or so. I've never put one ounce of faith in kinetic energy or Keith's formulas or the Taylor KO. If you put a bullet of sufficient construction and size deep enough into an animals lungs or heart, it will die. The 45 caliber slug is obviously of sufficient size and the Beartooth slug is of sufficient construction, so there is no need to worry about that. The next two variables concern velocity. Can 1,000 fps drive that slug deep enough into the animal you are hunting to achieve the necessary result? 1,000 fps second may not seem that fast compared to some rifle velocities, but it is still pretty dang quick and I don't think you would have a problem given the results other folks have had. I have never shot a black bear with a 45 caliber slug at 1,000 fps so I'm not positive, but I am positive I would try it - given the opprotunity of good shot selection. Next, is the velocity enough that it allows you to hit where you want to, as far as trajectory is concerned? Well, judging from the groups you posted on another thread, I'd say you know what you and your gun and loads are capable of. I'm not sure if I would take any raking shots at a distance till I had shot some game with this load, but it does sound capable.

Let us know how this turns out.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.