Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,129 Posts
How does that Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel feel when you shoot a full power 45 Colt load out of it? Good God, my 7 1/2" Bisley has crisp recoil with the 12-1300FPS loads with the 300gr XTP-MAG bullet. I would just use your Ruger for hunting, if the trigger quality is what's holding you back and making you want to use the Smith, just get a trigger job. I think the recoil would have to be immense with the full power loads in that short of a Blackhawk. When I shoot the same loads in my short Blackhawk that I use in the Bisley, both .41's, the difference is night and day. Pleasant to shoot in the Bisley, and viscious in the short Blackhawk, and the 45 Colt +P+ loads would be unimaginable.

· Registered
3,129 Posts
I understand the difference in the grip shape, that's why the Bisleys are my favorite. I think the fact that a Bisley with a steel grip frame and an unfluted cylinder and longer barrel that all adds up to a 10oz wieght difference also help quite a bit. I know what you mean about the Houges, I put them on a 6 1/2" 41 Blackhawk and it made it much more pleasant to shoot, but I'm not real comfortable with them yet. If I like them I"ll put them on the 4 5/8 Blackhawk as well. I still think that a 4 5/8" 45 Colt with full power loads would be a BIG handful. Maybe it's because I've done most of my heavy shooting in single actions with the Bisley, but I don't like the way the Blackhawk grip slips up in the hand when shooting heavy loads.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.