Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
39,117 Posts
Chris,

If the rounds will chamber and extract from your Win without any trouble, I wouldn't change the OAL. The bullet touching the rifling isn't going to create excess pressures with cast loads. Besides, your load is well under what a M94 will handle in this chambering, so a slight increase would not hurt anything.

I cannot say for sure what your load will do to a black bear. I can tell you that they will go through several feet of pig, at just a little more velocity. In this age of super-magnums, 1,000fps doesn't sound like much, but I would not volunteer to try to stand downrange and catch one either.

My suggestion is to try to work up some penetration tests at different ranges, either wet newsprint or water-filled jugs, or something. See what it does and limit your range accordingly. After all, no matter how fast it starts out, at some point the velocity drops off till it's below the threshold that is acceptable. So it's really more of a question of distance rather than muzzle velocity, plus of course the shooter's ability to place the shot correctly.

My gut feel is that it'll whack a black bear pretty good, even at 'only' 1,000fps. How about if you shoot an email over to Cor-Bon. I am pretty sure that they sell a load just as you describe, a 300gr. bullet at about 1,000fps. If customers have used it for hunting, that would be a great source of information. Nothing like actual results to confirm theory.

· The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
39,117 Posts
Hick,

You're not understanding how a short-barreled Blackhawk is supposed to be used. What you do is, sneak up real close to the deer, then throw the gun at him! Head shots ought to knock one down for a bit....

I'm only about half kidding. Like you, I have a Bisley (7.5") .45 Colt, and it's recoil enough for me with the 300gr. and up loads. Have been contemplating a short Vaquero for a nice packing gun but just have not convinced myself that the recoil would be tolerable.... guess we'll see one of these days.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.