Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have done some research for the perfect load for my SS Redhawk 7.5 in 45 colt.  I see a 250 grain cast bullet. Over 18.5 grains of 2400 doing 1200 fps.  Then I see 20 grains of 2400 hitting 1197 fps.  What is up??     Or could some one give a realistic mix for  my 1200 fps goals….  Thanks  

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,232 Posts
The 'correct' numbers will be what comes out of your gun.  Sorry, that's just the way it is... different guns, different components, etc., result in different people getting different velocities.  Same song you'll read in any loading manual.

Ya got two choices here.... either get a chronograph, and load to the velocity you want, or just try several loads, see what shoots best, and forget about the velocity.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have considered those as well. Gun tolerances and so on. The key to the magic box is pressure equals velocity, and velocity is pressure.  In a shell, that means Avery container of powder should come with a chronograph.    And a box of brass should come with a C U P tester.  We see lots of lists showing safe working pressures, but did you ever sit and really wonder?   Kina Scary?                                                                        And still I can’t wait to get to the range for some more testing.   Another part of this question, is who can one recommend to make a closer tolerance cylinder for my girl, want to squeeze every ounce of potential out of my Redhawk…   Also, Know any good chronographs out there….

·
Registered
131 Posts
THE F-1 CHRONY RUNS APPROX. &#3675 AND IF SOME DAY YOUR SENDING HOWITZERS THRU IT AND IT DECIDES TO GET NERVOUS AND MOVES THE WRONG WAY YOUR NOT OUT OF MUCH. AND THEY ARE JUST AS ACCURATE AS THE MORE EXPENSIVE ONES. OR THERE IS THE PACT ALONG WITH OTHERS WITH THE ATTACHED MEMORY CARD AND THEN ALL YOU HAVE TO REPLACE IS THE SKY SCREENS. I HAD ONE RECENTLY THAT GOT AN ATTITUDE WITH A .476 335GR FP @1500 AND THE F-1 LOST. I STILL FIND AND HEAR PIECES OF IT WHILE MOWING NEAR MY SHOOTING BENCH. AS TO THE SMALLER SPECS ON YOUR CHAMBERS SEVERAL GUNSMITHS WILL TAKE A 44 MAG CYL AND OPEN IT UP TO .480 FOR THE 45 COLT.  HOPE THIS HELPS.          JIM.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,232 Posts
Agreed, Chrony's work very well for not a lot of money.  Just keep them 12'-15' feet from the muzzle.  I once got some very strange readings w/.45 Colt handloads and concluded that the shock wave from the cylinder gap was showing up at the screens about the same time the bullet did.  Got a high reading of over 1700 fps and a low of around 400fps, all in the same 5-shot string!

Shoot a couple hundred rounds through the Redhawk before you get carried away and make new cylinders, etc.  It just might surprise you.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hey Guys,

In the August, 2001 issue of "Guns Magazine",  John Taffin experiments with Hodgdon's Lil Gun powder for his Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt.  With a Beartooth 265 grain cast bullet and 25.0 grains of Lil Gun, Taffin is getting 1453 fps in his factory stock revolver.  I have some Lil Gun on order at my gun shop!

Safety disclaimer and all that......

Lobo in NM

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw that article, it is bookmarked and sitting on my night stand.  After all, it is quite a dreamy article.               I am going to compare it to H110 as soon as my crono comes a knokin..    Also have seen some posts of there being sharper recoil with LILGUN.          Still looking forward to the comparison.  Or is it just a nother reason to go shootin......  Gotta love it...  

1 - 7 of 7 Posts