Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Winchester Trapper in 45 LC at the Houston gunshow. I previously have been using 25 gr. of H-110 with a 250 XTP bullet in my Blackhawk with no pressure signs and have been told several times that the Winchester would handle anything the Ruger could. When I shot the Winchester I was thrilled with the accuracy of this load (five shots resting elbows at 100yds. gave a 4.5 inch pattern) but I noticed a bulge on one side of the case about where the sizing die stops. I have seen slight bulges on cases shot out of Ruger Blackhawks before , but never this evident and not on just one side. With no other signs of pressure( on primers or sticking of cases), is this a common lever action characteristic?

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Keith,

This sounds like a normal occurance as most cases don't expand evenly when they "blow up" to seal the chamber. You may have a chamber running a little to the larger side.

The cartridge is laying on the "bottom" of the chamber before firing or the bolt is holding the case to the top side of the chamber.

You could check by carefully withdrawing the spent cartridge after firing and try to note which way the case is expanding. My guess would be is that the bulge appears on top.

Also with carbide sizing, the case diameter is considerably reduced more so than a lube type sizer die as a function of the carbide sizer ring. Just a nuance of the Carbide sizer die.

(Edited by Contender at 8:38 pm on Nov. 26, 2001)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'll watch the position of the case next time. Would you feel safe reusing these cases again?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Try neck sizing your cases. Set the sizing die to resize only to the depth of the seated bullet. That way the cases will last longer because you'll be working the brass less.
It might also improve accuracy because the rounds will fit more closely in the chamber.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Should be OK to use them again. See how they look after resizing.

Leo has a good idea as far as Partial resizing with the sizer run onto the case just enough to hold a bullet well.

Less working of the web/pressure ring area of the case.

Regards, Ray

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Keith:
  Here's an old .303 British trick that might help even out the bulges. Wrap some tape around the base of the case just ahead of the rim. Most tapes are hard to apply evenly and messy to get off. The Brits use mapping tape and it solves both problems. A tape called "Geotape" is available in a 1/16" width and adds about .008"-.010" to the base diameter, about right for a No.4 Mk I.  It's made in the USA and should be available in the larger stationary stores. The roll I bought several years ago cost &#365 and will do 500 cases.

It probably won't work as good on fired cases as on new ones. Just wrap it around the base and cut it off so the ends aren't butting. Seat your bullets long so the front of the case is centered too and you'll get round cases.

There was a thread on neck sizing the .45 Colt here a while back. Look it up.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
91 Posts
Keith, good to see someone else noticed this as well. I also asked this question, and found the same answers you got.    
  By down sizing my loads, this problem seemed to disappear.    
Here is another idea, try fitting one of your fired Black hawk cases in the trapper chamber. If it fits neck size those cases for your trapper. The better fit should also eliminate the bulge. If you try neck sizing trapper-fired rounds, you soon will have cases, if they fit, that look lumpy.
   Hope this helps make a one round fits all deal for you.       Scout.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the replies. I tried 23gr of H110 over the 250 xtp and the bulge is small enough not to mess the case up when I size. Tried neck sizing over 25gr H110 -still got bulges. 23gr. gives me good accuracy-1.25 inches at 25yds. I have a chrony coming next week and will check for fps. Also found that 11.5 grs. of Unique over 225 speer hp-mag got great groups with no pressured signs. I wonder if anyone has used XTPs and Speer bullets enough to give me an idea of what to expect for perfomance at the 1600 fps. level. I have Beartooth bullets coming but they'll miss the deer season in Texas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts