Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would be interesting to hear from users of the 45 LC in a lever gun. Regardless of maker,Rossi,Winchester,Marlin,etc. . Whether you hunt with it,cow boy, or just love to shoot it.
I load mine a Win AE 94 with 300 gr Sierras over 22 gr of H110 in Starline brass for around 1500 fps. with this load I've killed a bunch of critters and normally have a complete pass thru. It holds <1" @ 50 yds and < 1 1/2 @100 yds.

Let's hear from ALL THE 45 COLT LOVERS

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,233 Posts
Did you ever recover any of the Sierra bullets? If so, what did they look like? What sort of wound channels? Seemed to me that they have a very similar profile to a WFN and should give a pretty good wound channel even if they don't expand much. I have shot some of them through a Blackhawk, but not at critters.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike I've shot everything from chucks to black bears with my 45 LC and those 300 gr Sierras. Talk about devistating power! The FN ususally drives deep with a wound channel starting at 1/2" and opening up on a doe I shot last week at the exit hole to around 1 1/4".
Yes I have recovered some of them from a hog or two they held together well while retaining 85% of their weight. BUT it is nearly impossible to keep one in an animal, with a stout charge of H110 behind it.
last year I killed a 325# blk bear with it. both rounds entered on the shoulder and smashed both sides. The shot was at 73 of my paces.
I honestly believe that in this day of magnums, ultra magnums,etc. that the 45 LC in a rifle will do 80% of all hunting situations under 100yds. where I hunt a 300 # hog or blk bear is about as big as it gets and I wouldn't hesitate to drive one into them out to 125 yds and thats normally 50 yds longer then a shot around here.LF

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
45's...Oh yea!

I own the Trapper AE in 45colt. I really love this rifle. I plan on using it this November, for Vermont Black bear. I've loaded the 300's from BTB over 21.5 of H110. They hold about 1" at 50 and 2" at 100 from the short barrel. I've also loaded the 265 Keith from BTB with great sucess. VERY, VERY accurate! I use these in my Blackhawk and they hold about 3/4"@ 20yds:D

Can anyone tell me the velocity difference between the 16" and 20" barrel in the Winnies????? How much is lost in the 4" difference...

Chris~

·
36,233 Posts
Leadflinger,

Where are you hunting hogs?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike I have family in San Angelo, Tx. and try to get down there with my wife 1 or 2 times a year. Plenty of hogs,javelina,deer,turkey on her kin's ranch.
i hunt all over NA but live in Pa

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
leadflinger
I know what you mean, .45 LC in a rifle is a hard cartridge to beat!!!:D With a 300-325 gr bullet its a game getter extraordinar!!! My pet load is 23gr H110 out of my Win 94AE Trails End 1" groups at 50ydrs about 1 1/2" 100 yds. I belive this will take anything cleanly out to about 150yds that walk on NA.
As I said in another post- the Cowboy 's of yester year got short changed. If they of had lever guns in 45 LC they would have been very well armed indeed!:)

·
Banned
739 Posts
Count me in. I have a 94 Win Trapper in .45 Colt. Havent hunted anything with it but rocks, soda cans, and targets.
I think I shoot it more, and get more enjoyment out of it, than my 30-30.
I haven't tried any of the 300 or heavier bullets. But it eats up my 268 gr Keith bullets like they were made for each other.
Some day soon I might get to an outdoor range and try some of the heavier bullet loads.

·
Banned
28 Posts
I picked up one of the Rossi 1892's in 45 Colt, a year or so ago.The barrel did require a fair amount of lapping to smooth out and achieve a level of accuracy that I found acceptable.
I spent a good amount of time working up a load for this rifle using the Saeco 300 gr. GC'd bullet. 20 grains of H110 behind this bullet seemed to be the correct balance between power and recoil.
Don't know that I'll ever hunt with this rifle but it's fun to bang away at 50 and 100 yards, with it.
Jim

·
Registered
445 Posts
My newest toy is a Navy Arms Model 1873 Short Rifle in .45 LC. It can't handle the hot loads like the '92s and '94s, but with the light loads it's a heck of a lot of fun to shoot!

So far I've only used it for plinking/target work, but I might take it for whitetail this year. I got a box of Cast Performance 265 gr. WFN LBT bullets. I figure these will work at close range, even with a muzzle velocity only around 1000fps or so.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is anyone other then me shooting a Sierra 300 gr FP? I'm using it over 22 gr of H110. My groups are TIGHT at 50 and 100 yds. But with a 3" high sightin @50 yds i'm 3" low @ 100 yds. Still in the kill zone of any deer I'm going to shoot it at.
When I sight in dead on at 100 I'm nearly off the paper at 50
what are you guys loading and wacking with your 45LC rifles?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am also toying with the .45 Colt in my Trapper '94. The last deer I shot was with the XTP 250 gr ahead of 10.5 gr. Unique.
While this may seem like a modest load I am getting excellent accuracy. Incidentally, I get much better accuracy with jacketed bullets in both 250 gr and 300 gr than with hard cast bullets. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know what you mean about jacketed accuracy over casts. I too have found that.
My "thing" is to drive a heavy bullet at a fast rate. Others may not see this as their "thing" ,but that's what makes shooting appealing to so many. I just don't enjoy lead scrapping out of my barrel. And playing with GC and lube. all I have found are results of wanting to drive that same weight bullet at the same speed with casts.
? about those Hornady XP in 250 & 300. How is the penetration on them? The ones I've used blew up too soon on the animal. made nasty wounds by not very deep. On the other hand the 300 gr soft points I've used were awesome.LF

·
36,233 Posts
Plow,

With cast bullets size is important. What are you shooting (brand/style/etc.) and what is the bullet diameter? Also have you slugged the gun?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have limited experience with shooting deer with the .45.
The first was a small deer hit in the spine with the 250 gr XTP
and it broke up and did not exit. The second deer was shot with same load but broadside at about 100 yards and it entered between two ribs and nicked a rib going out. It left 2
small round holes about 45 cal. The doe trotted about 35 yards and tipped over. I have read that the XTP is too soft for serious deer hunting so also tried some 300 gr XTP Mag
bullets. I have not shot any game with them but they really hang together in any medium I shoot them at.
Mike- I have not slugged the gun but am shooting D&J hard cast bullets from Midway.-Got them before I found this site or heard of Beartooth. They are supposed to be .452 as are the jacketed stuff I am shooting. Both the 250 and 300 gr cast give me eratic groups. I am using mainly 2400 powder.

·
36,233 Posts
I have shot quite a few of Midway's "hard cast" bullets and concluded that they are OK, nothing fabulous, but certainly OK for general use.

Haven't ever used 2400 (shame!) so I'll comment strictly on general issues with lead bullets.

Two things come to mind: erratic velocities caused by inconsistent ignition, or a really rough / oversized barrel. The barrel will tell you if it doesn't like cast, if it leads badly then you have a problem.

The inconsistent ignition can be caused by low bullet tension with the case, this being a combination of the diameter of the expander button of the die, and the quality of the crimp that you get. Jacketed bullets 'stick' to the case much better even if these two conditions are marginal.

Inconsistent ignition can also be caused by low powder charges although this is more often associated with slow-burning Ball/Spherical powders like WW296 & H110.

Do you know the diameter of the expander button in your die set? If it is set up for .454" diameter bullets, then it is probably not going to work well for .452 cast bullets. Ideally it would be around .449" or even .448" (the small part of the expander not the flared part).

·
Registered
362 Posts
Could you guys check out my case bulge question on the Handloading Practices section. I am curious if any of you have this situation developing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mike-I don't have any idea the diameter of my expander but I usually only bell the top of the brass enough to get a bullet started. The crimp seems OK and they seem to hold well when shot in my Ruger BH. The last batch of 300 gr cast I used 18.5gr of 2400 powder. I do not have a chrony and am not sure of velocity but am more worried about pressure as there seems to be limited data inthe printed material I have.
Also, the 300 gr cast bullets I was using have two crimping grooves. When I tried the bottom one, they did not readily fit the chamber of the '94 Trapper. I could easily push them in with my finger but they did not go "plunk". I did use the top crimping groove but was a little reluctant at first because I was not sure if that was a compressed load or not and don't like suprises. I shot both batches and the results were the same, about 5 -6 inch groups at 50 yards. I am getting 1 to
1&1/2 inch groups at 50 yards with jacketed bullets.

·
Banned
556 Posts
MikeG, Waters' mentioned having inconsistent ignition/ext. spread issues he thought were based on the primer. He wound up using the Fed 155s in his .45 LC Trapper.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts