Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question guys, I purchased a win 94 trapper in 45 LC at an auction this week with the marking on the side receiver "1894-1994" SN 6156566. What caught my eye was the big loop lever.

Is this Win. original equipment (big loop)or an add on like with marlins?
The gun is about 98%. I paid $275 for it as I liked the way it handled. Comments appreciated...............Bob

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
I have the Trapper, purchased last year. It has the standard loop and is not "comemorative marked".
As far as it's ability to shoot, it is one of my most favorite lever rifles to shoot as it's just plain FUN!!!:D
Partenered up with My Mountain gun from Smith, It makes a great NE woods set!!!

·
Banned
739 Posts
BUFFALO BOB,

By the dates you mentioned it sounds like you might have some sort of Win 94 Centennial commemerative. I am not familiar with all they have made but I do know that on a lot of their commemeratives and limited edition 94's they put large loop levers on them.
Mine is a standard mid 80's Trapper in .45 Colt and I like it a lot. It has digested thousands of rounds of just about every bullet shape up to the 300 grs Corbons. It has the standard lever and feels fine.
For the price you got it for I think you got a good deal.

Maybe some of the Winchester x-spurts on the forum can tell you more. Or call Winchester and ask them.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hey hey!
May I guess correctly that the Trapper barrels are around 16 - 18"? If so, what do you find for range and velocity?

The reason I ask, is that I have seen two 16 1/44" Marlin .45s and it looks to be a fun shooter, and since I live in PA, and most of my outdoors recreation is here, and the way this state is wooded, 100 yds and less seem to be the norm. But how well will the short barrel do for just plinking up to 125-150 yds?

·
Banned
739 Posts
nfmMike,

The Winchester trappers have 16" barrels,and I believe the Marlins are too. I've never done any chronographing but mine will do around 2" at 100 yards, if I hold my mouth right, use the right ammo, and have a good day.

What you mentioned is exactly what I use mine for, except the hunting, haven't done any of that yet. Plinking is one of the funnest things to do with one. When you connect with the target it gets exciting.

Lots of fun.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I didn't exactly say hunting, but it will go with me outdoors. I do so love plinking, and am going to introduce my youngest daughter to it this spring I hope. Start her off with my dad's pellet pistol, for sight picture and alignment training,and move up to a light (very light) loaded 30.06 by the fall.

·
Banned
739 Posts
nfmMike,

For introducing your daughter, try some 200 gr bullets with a mild load of powder. I have used the 200 gr Lyman SWC with 7.1 of 231 and it is a very light recoiling load. Or use a 200 gr Cowboy load.

As for hunting, I hunt mostly rocks with mine. You know those are very dangerous critters. You gotta have a powerfull gun for rocks.....:rolleyes:

I don't know about yours, but my trapper will feed anything. I have used the shortnosed 200 gr Lyman SWC all the way up to the long noses Keith SWC's and most everything in between. It doesn't care.
Enjoy,
J:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sounds like a plan, now all I have to do is scrape the pennies!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the info on the trapper. I just picked up a box of 300 gr. to load, they will have to do till I get a bullet mould.

The lever works smooth and easy now since it is all clean up,it just needed some TLC. It should be a good partner for my marlin 1895.....................Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts
I shoot 300 gr Hornady in my Win 45LC and yes I do hunt with it as I have killed several deer in Pa with it. If you plan to reload fore it make sure you keep the FPS up enough to open up those heavy bullets. 'course when they start off at near nickle size going in they don't need to open up a whole lot more! 300 gr /22.5 gr H110/starline brass= dead critters

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'm back from the range. I shot off some 21 gr. /h110 /300 xtp. The gun shot some nice groups @ 25.50,75 & 100 yds. these were all off hand shooting. I agree Leadflinger this will make a dandy SE Pa. deer rifle.

If it was'nt so cold and windy I would have liked to have set up the chrony, well that will be another day. yes I think this little rifle will be a keeper.

I still have not found one with a big loop lever on any of the gun auction sites............Bob

·
Registered
144 Posts
Winchester produced the Winchester 94 Wrangler "1894-1994" in 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, and 30-30 to celebrate the 100 years of the Winchester 1894. They also had a short run in 45 Colt which CDNN Investments carried.

You can find the Wrangler in 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 45 Colt, 30-30, 32 Winchester Special and 38-55 Winchester. The 32 Winchester Special and 38-55 Winchester sported engraved receivers. The 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 45 Colt and 30-30 sported the "1894-1994" on the receiver. The 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum and 30-30 with a clean receiver were a regular production for several years .

The Wrangler sported a 16" barrel and large loop lever.

It is not a commemorative. The 1994 WINCHESTER MODEL 94 CENTENNIAL 30-30 cal. sported an engraved blue receiver and a 20" half-round, half-octagon barrel. STANDARD GRADE 12000 mfg. $700 *

For $275.00 you made a good buy. You will find the Wrangler in the gun auctions and classifieds from time to time. I understand why you like it. I came across a Winchester 94 Wrangler I in 32 Winchester Special at a gun show at the local VFW about 18 years ago. It sported an engraved receiver (Western scenes), large loop lever, and 16" barrel. It caught my eye. I didn't have the money to buy it. I asked the guy if he would be interested in a trade for a Ruger Mini-14. I went to my truck and brought it to him. We traded. The sucker wound up with the Mini-14 and I walked away the prize. Never looked back. Since then I have purchased several Wranglers.

If you decide to try to spin and cock your Wrangler like John Wayne and Chuck Connors (The Rifleman) wrap a cloth around the front site. This will keep the front site from cutting your arm if you hit it. Also do it over a bed or couch. That way if you drop it it won't hit the floor. Your Wrangler should sport the cross bolt safety. Do it unloaded.

By the way it has a great psychological effect on people.:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks alot Yanqui for that info, the auction house had this gun listed as a "trapper", no wonder I was not able too find a trapper in a big loop.

Yes, I found out about the snagging ability of that front sight just in the normal handling of the gun, and by the way how did you know I was trying it in the John Wayne spinning fashion, I guess the youthful cowboy in us never really leaves us, does it Yanqui ? Here's too finding those great gun treasures...................Bob

·
Registered
144 Posts
Once you perfected spinning the Wrangler in one arm switch over and work on spinning it with your weak arm. Chuck Connors (The Rifleman) could spin, cock and fire with both hands. If you ever watched the show they had two different versions in the opening of the show. That is where he quickly fired off 11 rounds because of that screw that hit the trigger as he brought back the lever. Then he spun his Winchester. In earlier versions he used his right arm and in the later versions he used his left. Even throughout the series he used both. BAD TO THE BONE.

I never really saw John Wayne spin and cock his Winchester with his weak arm in any of his movies. There was one movie (I do not remember the name) where he was shot in his strong arm by a pretty girl so it was OK. (Makes sense to me ;) ). It's the code of the West. He tried to spin it with his weak arm and couldn't. That doesn't mean that John Wayne couldn't. It just means that it would be a good idea to be able to shoot and use any firearm with both hands.

I have a Wrangler "1894-1994" in 30-30. I came across an engraver at a gunshow. The guy is pretty reasonable on his prices. I HOPE I can get the funds together to have it engraved with western scenes someday. About 300 bucks. But I have so many projects.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yanqui, with the big loop the temptation was to try and spin it and with a little practice a person could get quite good. Yes I used to watch the Rifleman on TV also, thanks for the info............Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yanqui: next time you watch those old midnight reruns of Chuck count the shots he takes with that gun...you'll see there is one too many . Also Chuck was never really in real life able to use both hands. He had a double, though that could. Chuck was a pro ball player before he began acting. By his own admission he had two left thumbs.
i met Chuck back in the early 70's when he was doing work with Scorpion Snowmobiles. Nice guy, real down to earth.LF

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just finished watching 2 episodes of The Rifleman. They come on here in Arizona at 1800hrs and 1830hrs. The opening scene had Chuck Connors blasting away and twirling his 92. If that was a "stand in" it looked just like him. I also saw him in the both shows using the 92 using his right hand/arm.

Last weekend I saw episodes with Mark as a teenager. In the opening scene it was Chuck Connors blasting away. This time he was using his left hand/arm.

It sure looked like Chuck Connors to me. I was watching very carefully. I know that they can do all kinds of magic with movies. But back then you could tell the difference when a "stand in" was doing the scene.

I know "stand in's" were used but it sure looked like Chuck Connors.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The real Chuck was real down to earth. At a dinner where he was being showboated for us dealers . I somehow got seated next to him for dinner. He took one short look at the "gourmet" food that was served us. looked over at me an said," this looks like crap, what you say we get out of here an get a decent steak". After the pleasant talk was over three of us and Chuck went out on the town with him as his guests. I assure you ole Chuck could use both hands to pour the good stuff down. LF

·
Registered
206 Posts
Friends,
Chuch Connors could and did use his Winchester model 92 ...44-40 "flip special" with both hands. I have pictures of him doing just that. Matter of fact he has both his original Winchester and one of his back-ups, and he's twirling both at the same time. He practiced the technique till he mastered it. The Rifleman t.v. show is probably my favorite western of all-time! Each show had some good moral principle for Mark to learn. How different from today's television!
I am blessed to own several "big loop" rifles in .44-40 ; .38-40; .45 L.C. ; .44 mag; .32 Winchester, and .30-30! I love them and I have no trouble spin-cocking as I have a lot of practice and 38 inch arms on a 6 foot 3 inch body!

Regards,
Timberwolf

1 - 20 of 53 Posts